Baron in Rhino Frozen Assets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from delonybro

delonybro

After trying woodturningz's inlace acrylester shredded cash blanks a few weeks ago, I had several customers request a cash pen, so this time I decided to give the Rhino Frozen Assets blank a try. It was easy to turn and ended up stunning and 3D-like. I encourage anyone interested to give it a shot!

I'm still perfecting the finishing technique since the cash at the top level can sometimes poke through and be felt outside the resin. This one was Abranet dry 320-600, 2 coats thin and 2 medium CA, wet sand 600 and first MM pad. Buff Tripoli and White Diamond. If anyone has other finishing that has worked good for them on the cash blanks I'm all ears! IMG_1998.jpgIMG_1997.jpgIMG_2001.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Luff

I use 4 or 5 ca thin layer. But I'm pretty new to penturning I'll try your way on next order.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

magpens

Very nice !!! . That's a different look for shredded cash. . I love Rhino so will have to give this one a go.

DavidD

Nice job!

I'm very appreciative of your photos. I've been tempted by this blank before but never pulled the trigger. Your 2nd photo does a great job of showing the details of the casting!

MRDucks2

Hey, Scott. I have turned one of the WoodTurningz blanks, also. Did you find the Rhino blank turned differently than the Inlace Acrylester? I had heard they are the same resin type. Also, did you back-paint the blank or paint the tube? Mine had a lot of tube showing though. I used 2 think and 4 or 5 med CA, wet sand through 12000 with MM. smooth finish.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
A very interesting blank that I may just try (Brother works at a bank).

I'll also compliment your photography - the pictures display very nicely the depth of the blank.

Thank you for sharing.

I'm not proficient with a CA finish, but: several more coats of medium, and use the full range of MM wet sanding in addition with what you tried.

Last edited:

delonybro

Hey, Scott. I have turned one of the WoodTurningz blanks, also. Did you find the Rhino blank turned differently than the Inlace Acrylester? I had heard they are the same resin type. Also, did you back-paint the blank or paint the tube? Mine had a lot of tube showing though. I used 2 think and 4 or 5 med CA, wet sand through 12000 with MM. smooth finish.

It was actually a little chippier than the acrylester, but I turned the acrylester with a TShadow magic skew, and I turned this with an easy start carbide finisher. I did paint the inside of the blank green and let it dry overnight but not the tube. There's plenty of areas where it shows through, but being green it blends in well.

delonybro

A very interesting blank that I may just try (Brother works at a bank).

I'll also compliment your photography - the pictures display very nicely the depth of the blank.

Thank you for sharing.

I'm not proficient with a CA finish, but: several more coats of medium, and use the full range of MM wet sanding in addition with what you tried.

Thanks! I'm a photographer by trade, but rarely take the time to photo my pens correctly. Most just get the cell phone treatment, but I had a new macro lens I wanted to try out on this one. I'll try your finish suggestions on the next one.

Top Bottom