Baron in Local Walnut Species

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jjjaworski

jjjaworski

This pen is made with a local walnut that grows in New Mexico. It is called Mimbres Walnut. The timber was air dried for several years and has great color variations.

The timber was harvested from a fallen tree in Capitan, New Mexico. Smokey the Bear was rescued as a cub from a forest fire in Capitan.

I finished it shellawax for a more tactile pen.

Attachments

• Baron:Mimbres RB1a.jpg
    Baron:Mimbres RB1a.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 158
  • Baron:Mimbres RB1b.jpg
    Baron:Mimbres RB1b.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 130
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Did you oil before you use shella wax? I am not sure so I am not questioning your method. It seems like that wood should have more pop to it?

jjjaworski

Mike,
Just sanded to 1000, did the EEEE and then the Shellawax polish. It's not too bad but it just doesn't pop like a CA finish would. I was just a bit lazy to go the CA route.

I wanted to make one as a breather from a 45 pen commission job that I need to get out before the 10th when I have some hand surgery *G*

Try wet sanding the wood with either BLO or Walnut oil for a few grits next time and you will find that the wood will practically jump out at you. I don't use any CA on my pens as far as finishing goes.

ChrisN

Looks very nice. I really like the way walnut pops with a CA finish though. I just turned my first pen and I used walnut with a CA finish.

BSea

I really like the look of the wood. As you said, it has nice color variations. While I like CA finishes, I'm going more and more to a more natural finish on my pens. So I'm really liking the look of your finish.

Top Bottom