Baron Fountain Bob's Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SDB777

SDB777

Had a great morning. Turned on the coffee maker, and the heaters in the garage(my shop). Don't think I'm ready for temps in the 30's again yet....guess it's a getting older thing?

I've been looking at this blank for almost a year now.....and to tell the truth, I didn't really know what I wanted to do with it.(I'm sure we've all had that happen a time or ten?) This blank was poured by BSea(Bob), not sure if he was calling them anything back then or not.....it does have that great BSea swirl to it though!!!

Turned between centers using a micrometer to get the dimensions right. I turn the blanks to about .008" over-size and then start with the funny colored MM pads through 6K.....and then do a polish with the PlastixPolish(I find it doesn't really help going the extra pads if using polish-so why bother).

Kit: Baron Satin Fountain

As always, thanks for looking!
Comments and/or critique.....always welcome. Brutal honesty helps me improve whatever I need to know about, and my skin is pretty thick!

Scott (skin like a burnt potato) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Was thinking I'd like to do that....this blank was right at 5", and after the kerf of the saw. Not quite enough material left. I may use a piece of scrap that is close to the same coloring and replace it later.

Thanks!

Scott (left it postable too) B

PenPal

Scott,

I accept your challenge to deeply criticise this your pen,

Let me first say this FAQ Fair Average Quality.

Does this apply to your pen NO it is above that medium standard and IMHO exceeds it, based on the only way nI can viewing your excellent pictures.

You tick all the boxes such as neatly turned , standard of finish, fineness to your finish they all exceed the norm zooming high on the scale of 1 to 10.

Those pics are incredible and must say flawless, exciting in what they reveal, merciless with regard to the blanks. Now since the blanks were made by another and I do not cast blanks myself my observations remain mine (unqualified)

Colour is personal great for me unbiased as I am colour blind in all things as well as people, I made my living all these years as an Electrical Tech, Tradesman and Photographer so I read colour charts with no losses of interpretation in other words in regard to pens physically there are no colour problems for me.

Admiring the use of Satin in the hardware I hasten to say leaving your pen as is where is would make great sense to me after all it is easy to play with kits another time to experiment with bands, tops, ends and threading no clip ad infinitum. To second guess or be swayed by trends etc your choice and mine not ours.

Now the crunch did you satisfy criterea of an honest to goodness really well made pen yes in spades have I any advice yes keep showing and making I for one enjoy your offering and thank you for showing us all.

Here in far off Australia where everything that can produce a leaf and or flowers has presnted us with a spectacular display to gladden the heart. Spring variations back down to recent frosts only heighten and emphasise all is transient, not certain of what tomorrow brings hence my optomism when quality presents itself I welcome it every
time.

Thankyou, Kind regards Peter.

Last edited:

SDB777

Why TiGold? The blank is screaming silver/sating/muted-chrome....doesn't have a lick of gold in it to pull everything together. Or am I really missing something?

Is there a chart somewhere that shows relation of blank color to kit with the determining factor being sales? That would be a really cool chart, no one would ever not sell due to a faux pas in kit-to-color again. Who wants to jump on this project and is really good with charts and graphs......hmmmm, MesquiteMan comes to mind:rolleyes:

Scott (only blank but I think I got a gold kit here somewhere) B

BSea

Why TiGold? The blank is screaming silver/sating/muted-chrome....doesn't have a lick of gold in it to pull everything together. Or am I really missing something?

He probably thought gold because of the nib. But I agree that this blank loves most kits silver. But it also looks really good with gunmetal or black TI.

Anyway, great job turning that pen. The fit looks perfect. And with your close up photos, that's not just a guess.

I think I need a photography refresher. My pics never look that good. :rolleyes:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Scott, a really nice job on a really nice blank. Yes, I too have had the delays in determining what to do with blanks, and it's an on going situation for me. Good work with the calipers, and photos. You did good.

Wright

Hi Scott, great looking pen! I have learned also that you don't need to go through all the MM when using plastic polish. I was working on an order last week for 17 cigar pens cast in PR and experimented with using less MM grit. After sanding smooth I hit it with 3 MM pads and plastic polish(Novus 2) checked with 5x and looked great.

seamus7227

Scott (skin like a burnt potato) B

that is funny! I dont care who you are! Great job on that pen, and Bob too. The only critique i have for you is to change out that nib with a Polished Steel Bock nib!

Seamus (not sure my opinion is worth much:rolleyes:) R

Dustygoose

Excelent job, Scott. I would like to see it in Gunmetal to make sure you got the color right..lol.

I have some blanks I look at every set of my days off. Some are almost 3 years old cause i wana get better before I use it or wait for that special one.

Top Bottom