The Baron of Chrome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

Closed end Black Titanium Baron in aluminum. Head to toe done on jet mini lathe only. It actually has a light brush to the finish, but shows up as a little waxy looking here. This one was very hard to photograph.

Comments always welcome.

chromebaron1.jpg

chromebaron2.jpg

Cheers,

Fangar

Fangar

Originally posted by LanceD
<br />Great looking pen. What kind of tools were used to turn it with and how is it sanded?

Lance,

Thanks. Take a look at this tutorial I made some time a go:

http://www.penturners.org/content/alcigartut.pdf

Fangar

Fangar

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />James,
Awesome! I did some steel turning in college, but not by hand. I can't imagine how hard it is to do this, unless you don't actually hold the tool.
Rob

Rob,

Thanks. Actually not very bad with the heavy tool that I made. Basically a steel scraper from a steel lathe, that I welded a threaded rod to and turned a rosewood hande for.

tool1.jpg

handle.jpg

Cheers,

Fangar

Fangar

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />Beautifully done... but one question... how heavy a pen is it... and how does it balance in the hand..

Thanks Griz,

I was concerned that it would be heavy when I planned it out in my head. It balances quite nicely. Since you cant post the cap on it, it balances well. I weighed it along side of the Bloodwood Closed End Baron that I did a while back. It is only .3 oz heavier:

Bloodwood: Total Weight = <b>1.4 oz</b> (Body = .7 oz) (Cap = .7oz)
Chrome: Total Weight = <b>1.7 oz</b> (Body = 1.0 oz) (Cap = .7 oz)

Cheers,

Fangar

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
[quoteI was concerned that it would be heavy when I planned it out in my head. It balances quite nicely. Since you cant post the cap on it, it balances well. I weighed it along side of the Bloodwood Closed End Baron that I did a while back. It is only .3 oz heavier:

Bloodwood: Total Weight = <b>1.4 oz</b> (Body = .7 oz) (Cap = .7oz)
Chrome: Total Weight = <b>1.7 oz</b> (Body = 1.0 oz) (Cap = .7 oz)

Cheers,

Fangar
[/quote]

Interesting.... I would guess if you made it in the traditional style it might even weigh a bit less than the bloodwood...
Have you considered offering drilled blanks for sale... I would guess some of the guys here might be interested...
Also when you drill the blanks.. do you drill them to take the tubes or drill them to just press fit the parts...

chigdon

That is very impressive. The fact that you made it a closed end pen is what is making me scratch my head. Beautiful pen. I would second the request for pre-drilled blanks if you were interested.

Deere41h

James....That is one good looking pen!! Did you put anything on it to protect the aluminum? How have these traditionally held up to use?

Really nice job. Thanks for sharing it with us. The closed end Baron has become my favorite.

Fangar

Originally posted by Old Griz
Interesting.... I would guess if you made it in the traditional style it might even weigh a bit less than the bloodwood...
Have you considered offering drilled blanks for sale... I would guess some of the guys here might be interested...
Also when you drill the blanks.. do you drill them to take the tubes or drill them to just press fit the parts...

Tom,

This was the first closed end Baron that I have done in the Aluminum. You are right, it would likely be about the same weight with the fitting on the end.

On these, I usually drill the aluminum to the ID of the brass tubes so that they are not necessary. I like to save my expensive brad point bits for the wood and plastics and I don't have any cobalt or titanium bits in the correct sizes. The Baron top cap is an 11mm ID and a 23/64" for the lower barrel. Normally, the parts press fit nicely into the aluminum. On this one for some reason, two of the fittings neede a small drop of thin CA. They were snug, but not quite tight enough.

I would be willing to make some of the blanks for folks here. What sizes would be prefered? Cigar, Baron? I am telling you though, if you guys have a Supernova or similar with the pin jaws, and a jacobs chuck for your tailstock, drilling these is really a piece of cake. I put a couple layers of shop towel on the lathe bed, and use a little WD-40 or thread cutting oil. Then I face the ends on the lathe at the same time.

Cheers,

Fangar

Texas Taco

Originally posted by Fangar
<br />
Originally posted by LanceD
<br />Great looking pen. What kind of tools were used to turn it with and how is it sanded?

Lance,

Thanks. Take a look at this tutorial I made some time a go:

http://www.penturners.org/content/alcigartut.pdf

Fangar

Just finished reading the tutorial. Makes me want to give it a try some day.

LanceD

James, just read yout tutorial and you sure make it look easy. I'd definately be interested in two or three set of blanks for the Baron if you decide to sell them.

Fangar

Originally posted by Deere41h
<br />James....That is one good looking pen!! Did you put anything on it to protect the aluminum? How have these traditionally held up to use?

Really nice job. Thanks for sharing it with us. The closed end Baron has become my favorite.

Thanks John,

On this one I didn't powdercoat. I have had one of the aluminums (Cigar) for about 6 months or so now. Don't use it all the time, but enough to say that it has held up very well. I have powdercoated a few, and they look nice too. Definately a different look however. The PC tends to make them look a little more cloudy. It does not react the same way over brass for some reason. The bare aluminum shows prints, but can be wiped off with a soft cloth. I like the feel of the bare metal too.

Cheers,

Fangar

Fangar

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />OK, I give up. I'm gonna get me a turning frock and see if I can turn out something like this! [:D]

Beautiful work, Dude!

I warn you though. Don't forget that you are dressed in frock when you step out of your shop to pick up your morning paper. Yeeeehaaaw!

[:D]

Fangar

Fangar

Originally posted by Ryan
<br />James,

Are you facing the AL with the same barrel trimmers we use on wood?

Ryan

Ryan,

I would not recommend that at all. Actually, I face them on the lathe. Beacuse the stock is already round and being drilled on the lathe, I use a sharp tool to face the end at the same time.

Cheers,

Fangar

Fangar

Originally posted by Jim in Oakville
<br />That is a beautiful pen, outstanding craftsmanship.....that one is one of the nicest metal Pens I have ever seen...well done!

Thanks very much for the kind words Jim.

Cheers,

Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom