Baron in bog oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rick_G

Rick_G

Received this blank in a swap with Øistein in Norway. 5000 yr old bog oak. It looked so intriguing that I had to take time away from the kitchen rebuild I am in the middle of. Bog oak on a ti gold baron with many coats of CA.

Thanks Øistein

1_2011.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Received this blank in a swap with Øistein in Norway. 5000 yr old bog oak. It looked so intriguing that I had to take time away from the kitchen rebuild I am in the middle of. Bog oak on a ti gold baron with many coats of CA.

Thanks Øistein
Hi Rick; I sold a Cigar pen in bog oak first time it was shown just recently. My oak was only 2,000 years old!:biggrin:

Rick_G

Hi Rick; I sold a Cigar pen in bog oak first time it was shown just recently. My oak was only 2,000 years old!:biggrin:

I think the age is a guess at the best of times. Provincial park in Nova Scotia looking at a fossil display, the guide said the fossils were 10000 year old. Asked how they knew the reply was because of the type and layer of rock they were found in. Asked how they knew how old the rock was - because of the kind of fossils found in it. Circular reasoning at it's best. :biggrin:

Rick_G

Bog Oak is awesome. I have never seen it in larger sized blanks. The ones I have are too skinny to do much more than a 7mm kit.

Øistein was good to me. He sent enough all 3/4" thick and wide enough I should be able to get another 4 this size and maybe a slim or two if I am really careful. As well some teak from the deck of the sailing ship Stratsraad Lehmkuhl and some plum with really nice colours running through it.

bitshird

Very nice Bog Oak pen, I've done some from Denmark and the Irish Bog Oak, the Scandinavian Bog Oaks seem to have a more open grain structure that the Irish Bog does. I like the color contrasts in the Scandinavian materials a bit more as well, although it doesn't seem quite as hard, probably due to the more open grain, I like the gold with it, my first Bog Oak pen was in an Emperor, with lots of gold.

Lulanrt

I have bog oak that was dug up in WV along the Ohio river valley. I have a letter from an archeologist that dates it around 5000 years old. Very black easy to work if anyone is interested send me a PM. I sent a few pieces to a someone on here once but it has been so long I cannot remember who. It was still wet at the time but I have a bunch now that has been drying for years now.

Russianwolf

I have bog oak that was dug up in WV along the Ohio river valley. I have a letter from an archeologist that dates it around 5000 years old. Very black easy to work if anyone is interested send me a PM. I sent a few pieces to a someone on here once but it has been so long I cannot remember who. It was still wet at the time but I have a bunch now that has been drying for years now.

That would be me.......and I think this is a pen I made of one piece.

Attachments

• 071205.jpg
    071205.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 99
Top Bottom