Baron all dressed up in leather

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
As part of my demo I did this part Saturday at the Hampton Roads Penturners Meeting I did a leather blank to show one of the many ways a segment may be done. Here is the finished pen. A chrome Baron Rollerball. I used my carbide insert chisel for all the turning, sanded to 12000 mm and finish with 20 coats of WTF over the last two days. I'm very happy with the way it came out even with I minor flaw. As always all C&C are welcome

Attachments

• Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 318
  • Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 213
  • Photo 3.jpg
    Photo 3.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 223
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Janster

..nice job Dan! The onliest thing I see somewhat odd is the larger center section in the middle of the lower barrel. If that is your "minor" flaw, I would not even consider it as such! It looks GREAT! ....Jan

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Sure Phil I tell you then everyone will know, the next thing there will be copy's all over IAP.....wait that's not a bad idea so here we go.

1st) I cut the leather into 3/4" x 3/4" and punch a hole the size or approx. size of the brass tube I cut and punch enough for the length of the tube plus a few extra to make sure there will be some on the ends to trim.

2nd) I mix up a solution of about 50/50 Elmer's glue and water and soak the leather pieces in this solution for 24 hours I turn the blanks after about 12 hours. I remove the leather from the solution and let them dry for at least 24 hours.

3rd) I start stacking the leather on the tube spreading Elmer's glue on each piece until the tube is covered then I clamp the now blank
to compress the leather then unclamp and add a piece to two to the ends so there will be some leather to trim as you would any other type of blank then re clamp for at least 24 hours. I unclamp and let the blank dry for a few days in the case of the blank for this pen it was 3 days.

I know turn the blank as I would any other blank except the I watch the heat build as this could soften the glue this could cause some problems with the leather shifting. I same and finish as I would any wood blank.

Jan and Jon thanks so much for your very nice comments.

Last edited:

nanosec12

I love that you did this. One of the women that works for me does leather work as a hobby, and I have asked her to bring me a bunch of small scraps, with the intent of making her a pen. I was going to have to try and figure out how best to accomplish it, some trial and error, but thanks to you I already know what works.

It's still on my list of things to do, but now my task is a bit easier thanks to your effort and willingness to share.

Thanks Dan

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Rick I hope that what I explained will help you, Looking over what I wrote I see that I left out a two steps. On the end's were you'll trim I put some thin CA glue to stiffen up the leather, try not to get in inside the tube. Now after the blank is trimmed I put more CA in the area that was trimmed this helps in the turning these area. I due a barrel trimmer, I'm not sure if or how well sanding would work to trim this area. One more very important thing I need to say, The inspiration for this and the other leather blank came from Richard Greenwald (penmaker56). I saw some of the leather blanks he makes and asked a lot of question's. I've passed on what he told me.

Last edited:

lwalper

I've got some leather and had thought about doing something like that. Had never considered the Elmer's -- just thought I'd use thin CA to saturate the leather. Hmm ... I'll have to think about that.

Nice looking pen.

Top Bottom