The Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Vern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vern

Received a care package from Arizona Silhouette this afternoon:D Got one of the new Barons turned and assembled while the dogs were shredding the newspaper all over the living room... I was so pleased with how this kit turned out that they got off the hook.

2004123131237_plbaronaa.jpg

This kit is sorta like the Jr Gents but the threads actually work properly!! It's smooth as silk. Feels like a pen should. The 6 sided nib really sets this one apart as well. Material is the AA from Martin @ the Wood bin.

Thanks for lookin'

Vern

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodpens

That pen is a beauty, Vern! I did have trouble with the threads on one Jr Gent pen, but none since then. Have you had trouble with them? The Baron is definitely one of my favorites already.

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by woodpens
<br />That pen is a beauty, Vern! I did have trouble with the threads on one Jr Gent pen, but none since then. Have you had trouble with them? The Baron is definitely one of my favorites already.
I had a number of thread problems with Gent Jr, I guess the trick is to keep all the thread parts of the kit together (that's what Bill told me). I normally open up all the baggies and put the parts in Plano boxes (like all nibs go in one compartment, the next has the tubes etc.) This was a mistake, now I keep the parts in the bag they came in. The problem is that the cap does not post, and on one pen the cap does not screw onto the nib part, just slips over it. Never had any problems with other rollerball or fountain pen kits in that way.
Rudy

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The threads on the Gent Jr were known to be problematic for some time. They needed to be individually matched nib-to-holder. Even then, some felt a bit "gritty". (It was still a favorite kit of mine) CSUSA fixed the problem very well on the Statesman and Jr and Bill's done them one better with the Baron. The threads are smooth as silk. I just got mine and will post a pic when I get some turning time.

WoodChucker

Vern, great job! I just ordered a few of these yesterday and now that I've seen yours I can't wait to get mine. Thanks for the mini review!

R.T.

PenWorks

Very nice pen Vern. Glad to hear you liked the kit. Just got my batch in today from Bill. Can't wait to start in on them, and start my desk sets, and do my casting, and, and , and just not enought time ! Anthony

jkirkb94

Great looking pen, Vern! I can hardly wait till my order comes in! First one is going to my son. I also ordered a sterling silver fountain pen; this out to be nice.[:)] Kirk[8D]

wayneis

Hopefully the Baron's that I ordered will be here today because I can't wait to find out the difference in the thresds. I've done probably close to a hundred of the Jr. Gentleman and Gentleman and now the Statesman and have not had one problem with their threads. I have never seen the need to combine all parts I have a couple of very large drawers and thats where I keep all of my kits, in their little baggies, nice and neat.

Wayne

Gary

I guess it depends on what you call a problem. I just got through assembling my first three Jr. Gents (straight from the bags), and there seemed to me a problem with every one of them. It felt as though the thread tolerances were too close or something. They were extremely tight when screwing the cap on or off...almost as though they were cross threaded, but they weren't. In contrast, the barrels of the Jr. Statesman kits I've done have screwed on and off beautifully...very smooth and silky. I love the looks of both pens, but I don't like the way the thread system works on these 1st three Jr. Gents that I've done.

Vern

Thanks Mike, so far I've turned three of Martin's AA blanks and they have been great. When I'm doing the plastics I always put a fresh hone on my skew and touch it up if I start feeling any drag. For drilling I always use a sharp brad point bit, prevents blowing out the bottom of the blank and I go SLOW... 450rpm.

Vern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom