Barn wood pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from crab0000

crab0000

My cousin asked if I could make him a pen from some of the wood from our grandfather's barn, so I gave it a shot. :biggrin: I left some nail holes in it to give some character. One question though, what could I fill the grain in the oak with to smooth it out before sanding and doing the CA finish next time? Be gentle; I've only been doing this for about 3 weeks. Also, my photography is not the best!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
You chose a great hardware set to really show off that wood. The pen also looks to be turned really nicely.

As far as sealing you could try using some thin CA for a few applications then sand a bit then try using your usual medium CA to do the rest of the finish. Or you could use sanding sealer but that will take longer. When you as CA you do fill in that grain just a little so you may have to experiment a bit but it shouldn't take you long to get a really nice finish.

That is a really nice pen especially for only three weeks into your adventure in pen turning. Great job.

What?

What kit is this? Great job! I really like the nail holes!

My cousin asked if I could make him a pen from some of the wood from our grandfather's barn, so I gave it a shot. :biggrin: I left some nail holes in it to give some character. One question though, what could I fill the grain in the oak with to smooth it out before sanding and doing the CA finish next time? Be gentle; I've only been doing this for about 3 weeks. Also, my photography is not the best!

crab0000

You chose a great hardware set to really show off that wood. The pen also looks to be turned really nicely.

As far as sealing you could try using some thin CA for a few applications then sand a bit then try using your usual medium CA to do the rest of the finish. Or you could use sanding sealer but that will take longer. When you as CA you do fill in that grain just a little so you may have to experiment a bit but it shouldn't take you long to get a really nice finish.

That is a really nice pen especially for only three weeks into your adventure in pen turning. Great job.

Thanks for the info and compliment! I thought maybe medium CA would fill it in some, so I used 3 coats of it first, then 4 coats of thin. So the thin fills better? I may do another one and try some sanding sealer. Thanks again!

crab0000

What kit is this? Great job! I really like the nail holes!

Thank you! It's the PSI Big Ben kit in 24 kt. and gun metal.

SteveG

You may want to consider a different approach, and a different finish. I am suggesting to finish the oak with a matte finish, and do not fill the grain. The reasoning is that barn oak with nail holes are "rustic" characteristics which relate nicely to the finish I suggested. You can do a CA finish and go as far as "0000" steel wool, then wax. Being able to see and feel the open grain is really nice for pens of this type. But of course, if you are set on the smooth, filled grain look, please just ignore all what I said here.:)
Steve

If you are going to use CA I would use the thin first then the medium for the build up. The reason is the thin CA will soak right into the wood and help to seal it up then the medium would build up on top of the thin and allow you to wet sand and get that glass finish. SteveG does have a point though. I like the open grain look and don't use any CA for finishing my pens.

crab0000

You may want to consider a different approach, and a different finish. I am suggesting to finish the oak with a matte finish, and do not fill the grain. The reasoning is that barn oak with nail holes are "rustic" characteristics which relate nicely to the finish I suggested. You can do a CA finish and go as far as "0000" steel wool, then wax. Being able to see and feel the open grain is really nice for pens of this type. But of course, if you are set on the smooth, filled grain look, please just ignore all what I said here.:)
Steve

Great idea, I hadn't even thought of that! As I said, I haven't been doing this long, so I'm up for any and all suggestions.

crab0000

If you are going to use CA I would use the thin first then the medium for the build up. The reason is the thin CA will soak right into the wood and help to seal it up then the medium would build up on top of the thin and allow you to wet sand and get that glass finish. SteveG does have a point though. I like the open grain look and don't use any CA for finishing my pens.

I see now, thanks! What finishing method do you use? I've looked at some of your work and it's phenomenal, it's a level I hope to achieve some day!

turncrazy43

Like Steve suggested, you could leave the nail holes unfilled for the rustic look. Try painting the tube black under the open nail hole to show depth.

eranox

A story and some personal significance always help make a good pen great. You did a fine job on this pen. I've been turning pens for over a year, and I'm thrilled when mine turn out this good. Steve has a good suggestion on a matte finish, but I think the way the pen turned out rides a good line between rough looking and too refined. Nice job, and welcome to pen turning!

crab0000

Like Steve suggested, you could leave the nail holes unfilled for the rustic look. Try painting the tube black under the open nail hole to show depth.

Great suggestion, thanks! I filled the holes because I was afraid they would blow out (especially the big one given its size). Do you think it would be okay without the CA?

Last edited:

crab0000

A story and some personal significance always help make a good pen great. You did a fine job on this pen. I've been turning pens for over a year, and I'm thrilled when mine turn out this good. Steve has a good suggestion on a matte finish, but I think the way the pen turned out rides a good line between rough looking and too refined. Nice job, and welcome to pen turning!

Thank you for the welcome and compliments! I'll do V2.0 soon and try some of the suggestions given.

keithbyrd

I just recently tried a new approach to fill the "pores" of wood like oak that worked really well. I have done this on two pens - success -
I use 400 grit paper and thin CA. Sanding for a while -30 seconds or so- the CA doesn't dry too quick. I actually wiped off the excess slurry!! I did this for two coats, sprayed activator and sanded back down. Surface was smooth! Went on to finish normally with 5 coats of medium!

MikeL

I have made a few pens with very weathered barn wood. You already got many suggestions on the finish. I just want to add that if you do more barn wood pens and the wood is broken down from weather, I suggest thin CA glue soaking inside and out. Put some thin inside after the hole is drilled and before the tube is inserted. Also do periodic thin soaks as you turn the pen. This will help keep the wood together so you don't have a "come apart" for the wood or yourself just as the pen is in the final stages. The barn wood I have used is 80 years old and it has stayed in tact so far with this method.

Your pen looks great.

Top Bottom