Barn Oak Euro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from StephenM

StephenM

1_BarnOak1.jpg

Red oak from a 150 year old barn in Southeast Missouri. Tree was estimated at 2-300 years old when it was originally felled.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Old barns are cool! Love to do HDR photography of them on a really stormy/cloudy day......

Had a barn falling apart locally, grabbed some boards....not oak though. T'was Cypress! Your fit-n-finish is looking 'spot-on'!! Congrats on the great writing instrument.

Scott (old barn = imagination overload) B

Hubert H

You made a very nice pen. I like to use wood that comes from something in the area or maybe from Lake Superior. Makes the pen more interesting. HWH

StephenM

It's actually destined for the President of Ireland. She invited my bro-in-law over for a presentation and he wanted to bring some gifts. We decided on something distinctly American for the President and her husband so they're each getting a barn oak and a sequoia burl pen. The Ambassador from the US (Daniel Rooney - owner of the Steelers) is getting an Irish Bog Oak and another of the barn oak pens.

My first commission!

t001xa22

Even though the pen kit is not fancy, it is one of a group of mixed types made from a barn plank of cypress that is dated well over 100 years old. My wife's family were all raised in this particular barn/house in Illinois. I have never dealt with a more difficult wood to shape. The individual age rings were very weak and brittle, and many cuts were damaged by boring insects over the years. I lost an average of two blanks for every one I could finish. I didn't particularly like the look of cypress, but sentimentally, it made a big hit in her family.

Last edited:
Top Bottom