Barber shop pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Glenn McCullough

Ken Nelson and I worked on this for a couple of months and waited for the Rendezvous to display it. Here is a pen that started with a nephew who is a barber and wanted a barber pen, got with Ken Nelson who worked out a beautiful blank. This is not the pen I gave to my nephew. His is a traditional Baron with the same body blank as this, an all holly cap, the words "Barber shop" in old style font and his name on the other side(Ken also did that).
Under time restraints, I didnt photograph his pen, dang!

Ken suggested I make a "Barber Pole" pen for a display he is working on. He also suggested that we make it light up as he has some small lighting assemblies. So this is a Baron platinum fountain desk pen, I turned and carved out the globe from corian as I couldnt find a globe the size I wanted.The wood is holly and blackwood. The light fixture (last 2 photos show it lighted)is in the section between the stripes and the globe and turns on and off with the twist of the globe.

If you havent seen the 2008 pen diplay yet, go to the Guild site and take a peek, some awesome work. You should also see the other photos of some really dedicated pen makers, demonstrators, organizers, suppliers, Rendezvous hosts, etc.

200865111732_Copy%20of%20BSP1.jpg

20086511188_Copy%20of%20BSP2.jpg

200865111950_Copy%20of%20BSP4.jpg

200865113228_Copy%20of%20BSP5.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Originally posted by oobak

Ken Nelson and I worked on this for a couple of months and waited for the Rendezvous to display it. Here is a pen that started with a nephew who is a barber and wanted a barber pen, got with Ken Nelson who worked out a beautiful blank.

WOW!!!!!!! (Is that enough exclamation points?) Nah.. !!!!!!!

TBone

[:0] Beautiful work. It never ceases to amaze me that the people here continue to not only come up with new ideas but the craftsmanship to bring them to fruition.

its_virgil

Glenn,
The barber pole pen was certainly unique, well thought out and executed, and yes, the light on the top does work. Unfortunately, the blackwood base would not fit in the display case, so the displayed pen has the blackwood base removed. But, the picture of the pen in the display pictures includes the base. Thanks for participating.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by its_virgil

Glenn,
The barber pole pen was certainly unique, well thought out and executed, and yes, the light on the top does work. Unfortunately, the blackwood base would not fit in the display case, so the displayed pen has the blackwood base removed. But, the picture of the pen in the display pictures includes the base. Thanks for participating.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Don,
Nice job on the photos, they did the pens proud, though , I imagine many are just too nice in person to do justice in a photo.You are lucky to have attended and see them in person.
Thanks for all your hard work.

PenWorks

Another beauty I saw in Utah. The perfect barber pen. You guys did a wonderful job.
Down side is not only refills but now you have to buy batteries :D
Also, I am glad someone else made a pen to big for the display case :)

Originally posted by PenWorks

Another beauty I saw in Utah. The perfect barber pen. You guys did a wonderful job.
Down side is not only refills but now you have to buy batteries :D
Also, I am glad someone else made a pen to big for the display case :)
Anthony,
Batteries? you must not have seen the solar panel! JK.
I would like to have been there to see my favorite of yours, the Loiminchay (sp)inspired pen, it is quite exquisite.
It was a fun project, though I wouldnt encourage making your own globe if you dont have to.

bitshird

That is an incredible pen, the things that turn up here are mind boggling, of course I have a very small mind, but still work like this is awesome [:eek:)][:eek:)] by any standard [^][^]

great12b4ever

I like the pen very much. It looks great! I have been trying to figure out a way to make a true spiraled pen blank using laminated wood, but without using laser cutting, and this has been brain wracking. I do not have ametal lathe or the "rope" making lathe or any thing of that nature. Just the usual woodworking and wood turning tools. My lathe doesn't even have a good endexing system (Jet VS mini). So it looks as if I need to contact Ken and see if we can work out something like that. Sure wish I could figure out a way to do it with what I have, or can reasonalbly get, though.

Enough about that. GREAT job, Fantastic pen!

Top Bottom