Banded Ivory Kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from firewhatfire

firewhatfire

This is a banded ivory trustone and alumalite Kitless. It is segmented, not sleeved. I had trouble keeping the finial of the body in place. The clip is one out of my scrap bin and I used a bock nib and feed. It is postable. Comments and critiques are welcome and thanks for looking.
null_zpsc4cd76fd.jpg

null_zps27409128.jpg

null_zpsefe34ce4.jpg

null_zpsb0e2d93a.jpg

null_zpsbe866a77.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Janster

Nice job Phil. JMO, the threads need to be refined or maybe it is just my screen and old eyes! Be well...................Jan

D.Oliver

Phil, are the pictures deceiving me or does the clip stick up higher than the finial? Really like the color combo.

firewhatfire

It does stick up higher. Need a better one but don't have it at this time. Thinking of making a taller finial to compensate. And yes Jan my threads need some improving.

Janster

The clip looks like a "Smitty Style" clip! A bit taller final, cleaner threads and it's Golden! I hope when and IF I venture into kitless, mine will look as nice as yours! Be well............Jan

Brooks803

Overall I really like it Phil. The colors are a classic combo. I don't mind the clip being above the finial, but I'm not a fan of the exposed ring. There's no other metal showing on the pen so it looks a bit out of place to me.

firewhatfire

Noticed it also. Thought about trying to recess it and may I the long run. I ran out of patience with it and wanted to see it done.

Thanks for all the critiques and comments. Always looking to improve.

Overall I really like it Phil. The colors are a classic combo. I don't mind the clip being above the finial, but I'm not a fan of the exposed ring. There's no other metal showing on the pen so it looks a bit out of place to me.

watch_art

Very nice. My opinion on the clip ring being exposed - it looks good. Parker did it with the Duofold for decades and the clip ring was the only metal on pen (besides nib of course).

Why segmenting and not sleeves?

firewhatfire

Oh thats easy, Not smart enough to sleeve em yet. Still working kinks out of the process. Plus I don't have a 13 mm drill bit or the equivolant of. Ruined a nice cap I was working on trying to make due with what I have.

A lot yet too learn before I call this game mastered.

Very nice. My opinion on the clip ring being exposed - it looks good. Parker did it with the Duofold for decades and the clip ring was the only metal on pen (besides nib of course).

Why segmenting and not sleeves?

watch_art

:)
Hole sizes and such are arbitrary. make them what you need them to be.
-What I do is drill and thread the inside of the barrel
-thread the outside of the barrel --> for cap threads
-flip piece around so the back of the blank is out, cut off the end of the blank
exposing hole, tap inside of hole for barrel finial
-remove piece from lathe
-install mandrel to hold onto the barrel.
-put live center on tailstock up against the mandrel to hold the piece solid
-turn down the barrel, leaving only enough girth so the threads on the end are thick enough to hold the barrel end finial.
(I hope this makes sense)

Turn trustone (or wood) round, drill it out, then on the metal lathe, use a boring bar to get the inside diameter to exactly what you need. Glue pieces together.

If you don't have a metal lathe or boring bar, then find a drill bit that will work for you.

If any questions - I'll try to be more specific.

Top Bottom