Banana Parfait

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

workinforwood

This is Banana chips cast in a vanilla/strawberry mix. Not the most difficult turn I ever did, but not far from it. I am so used to turning fast, but these can not be turned fast, so the first blank I blew to pieces. They had to be spun down, then thin CA soaked in to the bananas, then spin some more then glue some more and that along with a very sharp chisel and very light cuts gave me a really cool pen! I was rather surprised at the blanks I made. I pulled them out of the pot and they looked pretty normal and cured just fine. I had them sitting on the work bench. The next day the work bench was all wet under the blanks. I wiped it up wondering what was up. Then when I cut a blank in half, the end of the blank, oil started pouring out of the bananas. When I drilled it, that was no problem but the blank was full of oil inside. Had to run a paper towel through the blank before glueing it. All that oil had me nervous about making the pen in the first place, but it was no issue with applying a CA finish over it. I have a theory that the banana compressed into the center of the banana pieces and then when un-pressurized, the bananas that were exposed released the pent up oil. When cut, same thing. Very bizarre. I had planned on making some extra's for Dawn, but being a difficult blank to spin, I am not sure if I should. It's not as difficult as turning chip board, but certainly comparable to turning pasta blanks.

Attachments

• Parfait2.jpg
    Parfait2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 233
  • parfait1.jpg
    parfait1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 366
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Unusual for sure!! Its really pretty....I wonder if you will scratch your head or pick fleas like a monkey if you use that pen continually .... hahahahaaa....Love the colors!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
A Junior STATESMAN!!!

You musta liked it!!

I'd use that pen for a while, Jeff. See if the banana pieces hold up in daily handling, or if the PR between them crumbles, for lack of support (even though you have a CA finish, I would have some concerns). IF all goes well, certainly we would like to make it available to other turners-----through some mechanism---don't want to say anything that turns into "marketing", :eek::eek::eek:you know???:mad::mad:

It IS a cool look!!!!

workinforwood

Is that a banana in your pocket, or are you just, .....

OMG...I like the way you think! :biggrin: Unfortunately I'd have to let the wife carry it around..it's way too girly a pen for me.

I must have missed this whole marketing campaign dispute. I've seen a couple references that something happened. So people like to say where they got something, or who made a blank...it's giving some credit back to the originator or whatever...nothing wrong with that.

Top Bottom