Bamboozled! A kinda-worthless wood concept WIN!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from redfishsc

redfishsc

Here's three pens for a customer who wanted me to use the bamboo from her back yard. I gave up on finding pieces that were hollow enough to fit the tubes right..... and filling the bamboo with PR for drilling/gluing didn't work (PR pulled loose like it does from PVC molds).

So, as a last resort I pulled this rabbit out of my hat. I cut the bamboo into random thin slices, poured the colored PR into the PVC, and jammed in a random amount of bamboo spears..... pressurized for several hours and got this.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well this stuff machined. Had to cut lighter than I'm used to, but it machined just fine.

All of them are sprayed with a semi-gloss conversion varnish to seal up the bamboo-- the varnish is designed to adhere well to polyester-based furniture finish anyhow, so it's a winner all the way around.

The cigar and RT streamline are ti-gold, the Zen is chrome.

Sorry for the camera "flash-flood" on the pics, and for the smudges--- they make the finish and plating look to be nicked/scuffed, but they are pristine. Oddly, the camera didn't "blue up" the blue pen--- it really is that color.

Thanks for peekin!

bamboo_black2.jpg

bamboo_black1.jpg

bamboo_blue.jpg

bamboo_red.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom