Bamboo by request, thanks, Mannie!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

Had a lady ask if one of my lighter coloerd pens was Bamboo. She was disappointed when I told her it wasn't and said that she loved Bamboo and asked if I had any with a joint in it. Well Mannie came through for me and here is the result. This piece was VERY close to being the right size for the upper barrel and I tried to leave as much of the joint as possible while still making the pen look right. I just hope she likes it.

200591331657_des_bamboo.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look and comments are always welcome. I'm pretty thick skinned so don't worry about that part. ;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Originally posted by Jim Boyd
<br />It looks good to me[:D] I did not know bamboo got that thick.

There are so many different bamboo species. In Asia, there are bamboos that go as much as 6" in diameter (maybe more)...some of them almost have no hole inside. There are also some that are that big a diameter but like a pipe, the wall thickness is only about 1/3" !!! Smaller species may even have thinner walls.

Billy, try looking for the "Buddha's Belly" Bambusa ventricosa...I think it will help you on your non-B2B style [;)]

http://www.bamboogarden.com/Bambusa%20ventricosa%20'Kimmei'.html

I actually have this bamboo but the ventricosing haven't happened yet. With the brutal weather we have here and my weekly absence also doesn't help. Sometimes my plants dry out [:(] and they don't like that.

Rifleman1776

Hope she likes it. To me, the upper barrel gives the appearance of a defective piece of wood and the unfinished look does not match the lower barrel. On the other hands, as J.C. Penny said, "Give the lady what she wants."

alamocdc

Thanks, all! Jim, the hole in the middle was almost 8mm and that is what I needed. The wall thickness was ~3/16" which also worked out well. Dario, that Buddha's Belly Bamboo looks pretty cool! Let me know when you trim some of it. [:D] Peter, I already got some from you on a trade, I just haven't had time to try it yet, but I'm actually thinking of using some of it in a glueup. [;)] Frank, only a small portion of the upper barrel under the clip didn't fall prey to the skew and that just happened to be by accident. The barrel thickness just worked out that way. I was actually glad because she wanted a joint in it. It really looks much better in your hand (as do they all), but I guess we'll see.

laspringer

I had the same request a bamboo pen.

200591314516_Bamboo.jpg
<br />
I think I like your style of pen more than the slimline. Looks like it is back to the shop for me and play keep up with the more creative people.

Alan

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by Dario
<br />
Originally posted by Jim Boyd
<br />It looks good to me[:D] I did not know bamboo got that thick.

There are so many different bamboo species. In Asia, there are bamboos that go as much as 6" in diameter (maybe more)...some of them almost have no hole inside. There are also some that are that big a diameter but like a pipe, the wall thickness is only about 1/3" !!! Smaller species may even have thinner walls.

I spent most of my early teen years in Central America. The type of bamboo there was like a thin walled pipe and extremely hard to cut with a machete[:p]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom