Bamboo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bananajeep

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananajeep

This pen was made from Bamboo. CSUSA wants 3.50 for a 3/4 X 3/4 X 5 blank. I found a small cutting board 5/8 inch thick for $3.99. I can get about 12 blanks out of it. This pen is a Blank Titanium European from WC with a CA finish.

What do ya think?

Thanks
Mike

2006122119506_BambooBlkTit%20Euro20%.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

I really like it! The kit looks really good with it, a little bulbus at the top near the finial, but that's a problem with that kit. The color is much better than most of the bamboo pens I've seen and the joints look good too. Where did you get the cutting board or do you plan on cornering the market on this? [;)]

Galanw

Looks like the tip is a little proud of the lower barrel. Wood and finish very nice.

bananajeep

Thanks for the feedback. The lower barrel was a little over turned at the nib. I was suprised my photos could pick that up. I have finally found setting and lighting that give decent photos. I actually had to go and look at the pen again to confirm what is seen in the photo.

Should I go and stock up on cutting boards before I reveal my source??
Actually check out the discount retail stores like Big Lots, Marshalls and Ross in their kitchen department. You can get really cheap bamboo cutting boards. I picked also up a 15" x 15" x 1 1/2" board for $10. They usually come with two tones of Bamboo: the natural light tan and the Caramel color. This pen was made with the caramel color. I'll definitely be doing more pens in Bamboo this next year

Thanks,
Mike

Skye

Cool man, I've only got a Big Lots here so I'll have to check it out. Keepin my fingers crossed... [:D]

wicook

I got a couple at Walmart that are also a combination of the "toasted" bamboo and the light coloured stuff. I've made pens from both and especially like the results with crosscut toasted bamboo. It's a real bear to turn, though. Lots of soaking with CA till it gets hard enough to keep from chipping out. The end result, however, is worth it. I usually soak the blanks with CA several times (3-5) before cutting them to size and drilling them. Here's an example...

tn_Cigar%20crosscut%20bamboo%20laminate%201a%20600.jpg

LEAP

I found a couple of scraps of 3/4" bamboo plywood that made really nice pens. A Google search found quite a few suppliers that offered various sizes. I cut one piece so the layers were cross cut and the other long grain and both worked great. The cross grain was a little chippy when taking the corners off but once round turned real sweet. It seemed to be pretty well saturated with whatever adhesive they used to glue it up, so I did not find it necessary to ca stabilize it while turning. a 4' x 8' x 3/4" sheet of the stuff is pretty pricy but you could get 900 blanks enough for you and 50 or so friends.
Phil

sandking

That's funny last week I picked one up when I was in Home Goods and said I still haven't finished my cutting board should I get it??? Of course I said no....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom