Bamboo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Califo

Califo

Hi everyone, I've been turning for a little over six months and this is the first pen I post. I post it because I find it interesting being made out of Bamboo. I acquired a piece of Bamboo and glued 4 slices together and came up with a 3/4 square blank. Anyway, below is a picture and I hope you enjoy it. If you look closely there are some reddish tone in the middle. It's a Wall Street with CA finish.

Of course C&C are greatly appreciated.

Thanks all for contributing to the forum. This forum is the reason why we create what we do.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Califo

Nice work for being so new. I've just ordered my first bamboo blanks. How was it to turn?

Wasn't that bad. The bamboo I used was soft and I was affraid that it would splinter toward the end. I left it a bit strong and sanded to measurement. I have another peice in which I will segment and break the plain white space. I'm also not too fond of the wall street kit. This would probably look better on a Gent where more Bamboo would show. We'll see. Trial and error; that's the fun part.

lwalper

The bamboo is fairly porous. You might try coating with a little thin CA every now and then while you're turning. It fills the pores and hardens the blank helping to prevent splitting. It also stabilizes the glue-up on your segmenting if there are any little gaps that might come apart while turning. Nice job!

Skelly

I purchased a large cutoff of 3/4" bamboo flooring from a local lumber dealer for a very reasonable price. I've turned several pens plus lots of other turning projects from it.

Top Bottom