Bakelite JSII & Amboyna Burl Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JimMc7

JimMc7

Last of the great blanks from Roy that I'll post...thanks again, Roy - very generous of you.

1st is 1930's cream colored Bakelite on JS-II. I've read Bakelite is a bit fragile and sensitive to sunlight so obviously better if I just keep this one on my desk! :biggrin: :biggrin: Thanks to all who posted Bakelite turning tips elsewhere on the forum -- light cuts with the skews, breaks when the material felt hot and a light touch wet sanding/polishing. No problems other than a bit more time to complete. Bakelite did dull the skew faster than any material I've done other than Red Dino Bone Tru-stone (that stuff dulls a skew in 3 or 4 passes).

IMG_6622.jpg

IMG_6623.jpg

Next is Amboyna burl on a titanium gold Baron, finished with CA. I'm not a real big fan of Baron kits, but wanted to save my last JS-II kit for the Bakelite.

IMG_6602.jpg

IMG_6603.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dawn had that pattern some time ago. She has tried to find more.

NO success. IF you sell that pen, get BIG money for it, there probably won't be any others. (except the couple I have)

johnnycnc

Jim, those are both superb. The Bakelite is a fantastic looking work of art,
you did a very nice job on turning, finish and photo's.
thanks for sharing these.

OKLAHOMAN

Jim, great looking pens, Ed is right about the Cream Swirl Bakelite I've gotten top dollar for the ones I've sold and I have a few left that I'm holding back for some special shows this spring. That amboyna baron is also a knockout!!!!!!

JimMc7

Thanks, guys.

I also need to give Roy credit for pre-drilling the Bakelite rod before sending it to me. All I had to do was enlarge the hole a bit for the JSII tubes. I'm sure his pre-drilling reduced my risks of cracking the rod when I drilled it.

OKLAHOMAN

No need to thank me for drilling as these came that way from Dawn, pretty sure these were costume jewelry blanks from the 30's that had the hole for necklaces or bracelets and NO the ones I have left are not for sale but thanks for the PM's.

Thanks, guys.

I also need to give Roy credit for pre-drilling the Bakelite rod before sending it to me. All I had to do was enlarge the hole a bit for the JSII tubes. I'm sure his pre-drilling reduced my risks of cracking the rod when I drilled it.

johnnycnc

No need to thank me for drilling as these came that way from Dawn, pretty sure these were costume jewelry blanks from the 30's that had the hole for necklaces or bracelets and NO the ones I have left are not for sale but thanks for the PM's.

How about an open air good old fashioned beg?:biggrin:
that is SWEET looking stuff, I gotta tell you.

gvpens

Jim,

Great job on both of the pens!
My personal favorite is the bakelite pen. Bakelite is right at the top of my list of favorite materials to work with. It's both beautiful and has historical value. Each piece, even cut from the same rod, can make a completely different looking pen. There are some great colors to be found, but cream swirl is definitely one of the classiest. Get top dollar for this one if you ever decide to sell it!

JimMc7

<snip> Each piece, even cut from the same rod, can make a completely different looking pen. <snip>

Thanks, Wayne. It was sorta cool to see the color changes as I turned the blank. I was lucky the blank had great color at the end.

I don't have a market for really high $ pens so I'll either keep it or give it to someone very special.

Last edited:

mrburls

Great pair of pens Jim. Can't decide which I like best, big fan of amboyna burl but also love the bakelites. I've done some swirl like yours and they do come out great. You did a great job on both.

Keith "mrburls"

simomatra

I thought that I had answered this thread?

Beautiful pair but do love the Bakelite and after turning one I agree, its hard on the tools, I reverted to carbide tipped tools and they worked a treat

Top Bottom