Bakelite in Black

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from UKpenmaker

UKpenmaker

Came across a couple of pieces of Bakelite amongst al my blanks, i think they came in with a BB prize from Ed & Dawn from a couple of years ago. Shows how much i have been doing!!

Blank reverse painted with black spray.

ADK_5095.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

That is a really nice blank. Love the colors. Have not tried bakelite yet but you get some awsome colors in that stuff and it runs true. The photos really show it off too. Thanks for showing. good job.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Great to see you making pens again, Andrew!!!!

That WAS a rare find!!! Great job with that blank that we now realize was pretty rare stuff. All gone!!!!

So, if you sell that, get a few "pounds":rolleyes::rolleyes: for it. Even though it only weighs ounces:confused::confused: (or grams):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

ctubbs

Neat pen, Andy. Beautiful blank, high contrast with black and gold, and the kit makes it stand out great. The fit and finish is outstanding. Congratulations on a wonderful pen.
Charles

Padre

A really good way to get back into the game Andy. When I saw the title I was expecting a black pen, but this one with the swirling colors is totally awesome.

jasontg99

Paint the inside of the blank vice the tube. Painting the blank can drastically change the color of the blank....plus if you paint the tube you can still see the "glue" through an opaque blank. If you paint the blank...no worries.

Dumb question time. What do you mean by reverse painting?

Buzzzz4

I have the other piece of that Bakelite. Cutting it on the bandsaw and it cracked. I'm hoping to still get something out of it but wow that is brittle stuff. Great work on that one. Any tips would be appreciated.

thetalbott4

Yeah, I gotta say, that is spectacular! Like Ed said, if you sell it, make sure you get big money for it. The blank is stunning and your work and the kit make it over the top. I cant say enough about how much I like it...

UKpenmaker

Many thanks for all the great comments.
To be honest i never realised this stuff was getting so rare.

I have got a bit more, which will now be kept to make a kit-less pen, if i ever get my head round threading and the such.

UKpenmaker

GUTTED

Had another look at this pen today, and the main barrel has got cracks in it, spiralling right around the pen.:mad:

Not too sure what has caused them, tube wasn't particularly tight when gluing. My only thought is maybe pressure from assembly, but why so long to show up.:confused:

At least it went whilst still in my possession.

Top Bottom