Bait for Critique

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jgrden

Jgrden

Here is my first attempt at a hidden clip closed end cigar pen. There are twenty-four coats of BLO/Med CA on it. You can see where it bunched up. The decal smeared and that is something I need to work on. This cannot happen on the next pen. The hidden clip did not insert the way instructions intended it to happen. Not sure that can be correct due to the size of the blank vs. the Cigar pen clip. Please offer any help you can:

Pens - 12-24-10 Black Ebony Close End Hidden Clip A.jpg

Pesn - 12-24-10 Black Ebony On End.jpg

Pens - 12-24-10 Black Ebony.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

I've been told a spray on clear laquer can prevent smearing like that but I haven't tried it yet. Other than that, pen looks very acceptable. I didn't really see any massive CA flaws or anything else, and apparently you did something with the clip problem. Either way, I'd still be happy carrying it around.

aggromere

I had some issues with decals smearing and running (I got a new printer). I was trying to print them at the highest quality. Apparently that lays down so much ink you can't get enough laquer or fixative on it to protect it. I toned it back to just standard printing and it solved my problem. After I print the decals I let them dry overnight (probably over kill). Then I spray them with fixative, let it dry and repeat once or twice more.

I have messed around with clips on my cigar look alike pens and I can't do it or just haven't figured out how to do it right, so I can't help you with that. But most of mine are so big I just leave the clip off and just call them a 'desk' pen.

Jgrden

I had some issues with decals smearing and running (I got a new printer). I was trying to print them at the highest quality. Apparently that lays down so much ink you can't get enough laquer or fixative on it to protect it. I toned it back to just standard printing and it solved my problem. After I print the decals I let them dry overnight (probably over kill). Then I spray them with fixative, let it dry and repeat once or twice more.

I have messed around with clips on my cigar look alike pens and I can't do it or just haven't figured out how to do it right, so I can't help you with that. But most of mine are so big I just leave the clip off and just call them a 'desk' pen.
Hmmmmm, I wonder why not use the fixative that Testors makes for their decals. I will try that Tuesday. Thank you for the tip.

Jgrden

I wonder if I could glue the cigar label to the wood and then spray it with either lacquer, shellac or Testors?? After it dries, then apply a coat of thin CA ?? Watcha tink??

Drstrangefart

I wonder if I could glue the cigar label to the wood and then spray it with either lacquer, shellac or Testors?? After it dries, then apply a coat of thin CA ?? Watcha tink??

If memory serves, that was how I was told it needed to be done to lock dyes down on the surface. CA is also bad about lifting dye off the surface of my more venturous experiments.

Jgrden

If memory serves, that was how I was told it needed to be done to lock dyes down on the surface. CA is also bad about lifting dye off the surface of my more venturous experiments.
Okay then, rainbow man, I am going to try it.

Drstrangefart

Okay then, rainbow man, I am going to try it.

:biggrin: I have yet to try it myself. Haven't remembered I needed a clear aerosol laquer or something like it when I've been out. If it were me, I'd probably get 2 coats, then go through thin and medium CA, followed by the skew to level the surface out, Mocromesh and go, but that's purely operating theory. I'm not basing it on much. Please don't hesitate to let me/us know if it works out.

aggromere

When I first started I would glue an unprotected cigar label on the blank and after it dried cover it with decoupage hardcoat. that protected them well but was very hard to get covered with the CA.

gwilki

John: I can't see the clip in any of the pics, so I can't tell what problems you are having. I've done many invisible clip pens, in cigar and other kits. I'd try to help if I knew more about your problems.

Jgrden

Hidden Clip.

John: I can't see the clip in any of the pics, so I can't tell what problems you are having. I've done many invisible clip pens, in cigar and other kits. I'd try to help if I knew more about your problems.
Grant:
I will take proper pictures and describe what happened. I used Epoxy to set the clip in as far as I could. Just could not get it to curve around the cap when it was inside the blank. Thank you for your interest and offer.
John
Merry Christmas.

Top Bottom