Badgers first two Dip Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from badger

badger

Kits from DCBluesman, good information from this article by Don Ward: http://www.penmakersguild.com/articles/calligraphydippen.pdf

I drilled a 7mm hole in the blank end just deep enough for the tub, and glued a spare 7mm tube in the end. For the holly/bubinga I glued stacks up on the tube. I crammed the blank onto the end of my mandrel and pinched it between the mandrel and tailstock. Turned to shape, finished the body except the end, and the pulled the tailstock back and tried finishing the end as best I could. Need a better solution here, but I have some ideas already on how to make something better, and shorter.

First one is Bamboo. I was trying to make it look like a bamboo twig, but it just didn't make it. It sort of looks like a skeleton finger. Which is fine, I know a guy who will love it. This was my test of the process of making dip pens anyway.

DipPen_Bamboo1.jpg

Second is a present for a friend of mine who does some calligraphy for fun. She's also a medieval enthusiast, so I thought this would make a great present. The woods are Bubinga (recycled), and Holly (landfill lumber). I like the shape, but I need to make a shorter jig so it doesn't whip around so much when it gets thin. (I was just cramming it on the end of my mandrel.)

DipPen_BubingaHolly1.jpg

A successful pen turning weekend full of firsts, woot!

badger

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tmhawk

When I looked at the first one, before I read you comments I thought, "Hey cool, Bamboo" so I think you got it. Very nice job on both pens.

badger

Originally posted by tmhawk

When I looked at the first one, before I read you comments I thought, "Hey cool, Bamboo" so I think you got it. Very nice job on both pens.

Thanks! I think if I hadn't rounded the end I might have gotten the point across better. I might give it another go.

badger

gerryr

Nice work on both. I actually think the bamboo shaped one would look better if the end looked broken or hollow for maybe 1/4".

badger

Originally posted by gerryr

Nice work on both. I actually think the bamboo shaped one would look better if the end looked broken or hollow for maybe 1/4".

Oooooooh yeah, that would be sweet! I'm going have to make a pin chuck for that, but yeah, that could be nice.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by badger

Originally posted by gerryr

Oooooooh yeah, that would be sweet! I'm going have to make a pin chuck for that, but yeah, that could be nice.

I'll break the end for you without a pin chuck! :D

Very nice work!

Top Bottom