Bad gluing experience

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodman95

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodman95

I just wanted to pass along some experience I had. Recently, I ran out of my supply of the glue I use [Gorilla Glue] to glue the metal tubes into the blanks and so I thought I'd try another type of glue for the next batch. Other pen turners had recommended this type as do pens some kit suppliers. It's called "Titebond, Polyurethane Liquid Glue". It goes on similarily to GG, it's about the same colour and consistency, and is "supposed to" have the same expanding gap filling and adhesion properties.

I say "supposed to" because, I haven't been able to successfully complete a pen with it. {3 straight tries} Each time somewhere during the turning process, one of the almost done pen halves has separated from the metal tube and broken/shattered/torn, with pieces flying from the mandrel, with other pieces which were still attached firmly and didn't break off, still attached to the tube. It's a PITA to say nothing of the inconvenience and the loss of a blank. I shudda stuck with a winner!

That bottle of Titebond has been deposited in the garbage and I'll never buy that brand again! So for that product, yall have been warned. :) Today I'm definately picking up another bottle of my old favourite Gorilla Glue, which I know works the way I want it to.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Sounds like you did not have complete coverage on the tube. Perhaps while inserting the tube, some glue was scraped off.

My experience with Titebond poly glue is just the opposite. I have used it for a boatload of pens and have been very pleased with the results.

smoky10

I have been using Titebond or loctites Sumo for about a year now with no problems. I don't know why you would have all those problems unless the tube wasn't covered uniformly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom