Back by poplar demand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Atherton Pens

Atherton Pens

Here's a pair of poplar pens made as gifts for my cousin and his wife. The pens aren't special, but the wood has some significance. The wood came from a full cut 2x4 poplar stud from a house over 100 years old. My cousin owns the house as a rental property and in early December it caught fire. The stud was salvaged and they wanted pens as keepsakes. Poplar is NOT the best of woods and the unpredictable dark grain makes the pens look dirty, but that's just the way the grain happens. Comments are welcome, but again these are not presented as "show pens".

Attachments

• PoplarPair.jpg
    PoplarPair.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 331
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Gary, it is very obvious that you have old growth poplar there. The grain is close and beautiful. What we get today has very wide growth rings. Those two deserve the love and respect you have shown them. Your fit and finish is spot on, great job. Congratulations on having preserved a part of your family's history, especially since it was headed for the wrecking ball and the land fill. In other words, Gary, "Boy, ye done good!"
Charles

Carrick

Gary,

I like them both. Good job. Think I'm going to collect a few pieces of wood from the homestead (in Tennessee) for a keepsake project. Thanks for the idea.

Atherton Pens

I have never saw popular with growth rings as on the first pen. looks good

I agree, I would have pegged the first one for Pine.

Both pens are from the same piece, outer edge of the 2x4 has wide growth rings, inner portion tighter rings and darker grain. If you look closely at the left side of the Patrizio, you can see the growth rings.

When I first saw the timber, I thought it was pine, too. But it is poplar, but as noted before, 100 years ago poplar (and pine) were yielding different types of timber.

Thanks for the comments.

Top Bottom