Back to Basics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from propencity

propencity

After an unsuccessful attempt at a banded custom pen, I decided to take a break from it and go back to basics. So this afternoon I pulled out a set of cigar components and a black ash burl that I got from IPD and came up with this. I wanted to retain the look and feel of the wood, so this time I decided to put the CA aside, sanded to 600, and finished it with mineral spirit/Tung oil mix on first coat followed by 2 more coats of Tung Oil. Overall, I'm happy with the way it turned out. I almost forgot how beautiful some of these wood can be. Thanks for looking and as always comments are welcome.

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Cool new writter you have there!! Love that Cigar kit and the way it helps retain those 'eyes' in the burl. A smaller kit would have probably erased them....well thought out.

The finish looks great too. Did you notice any dramatic amout of 'POP" when those oils hit the wood? Or did it just add some depth and create a layer of protection?

Scott (lettin' the wood be wood) B

propencity

Thanks Scott. I noticed the pop on the grain after the initial coat, but I think a lot of it had to do with the mineral spirit mixed in with Tung Oil. Subsequent coats were all Tung oil. After each coat, I wiped dry the excess. I really wanted to keep a more natural look and feel of wood without the hard acrylic look/feel that I tend to get with CA. The burl blank did all the work, just needed to add a little bit of protection.

Last edited:
Top Bottom