Baby steps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TexasSteel

TexasSteel

I've always heard you have to crawl before you walk so heres my first segment crawls....Sorry about the pics working on that too!!! Comments and critics welcome.....

Attachments

• segments 003.jpg
    segments 003.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 307
  • segments 002.jpg
    segments 002.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 229
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

akbar24601

I'd say you are crawling pretty good Jeff! Nice job! You may want to consider using some thinner pieces for your knots and inserts. When they are cut on such a steep angle you would be amazed at how much wider they will appear. You can make an 1/8" piece look like 12"!!! LOL You get the point.

Keep it up. Experimentation is the key. Don't be afraid to try something just for the sake of trying it. You and all of us just might be very surprised at the results.

Don't sweat the pics, you'll get there. I would say first thing though, work on focus. Tackle the rest next.

Great job, can't wait to see you take your first steps!

VisExp

To add to what Steve posted. It looks like you made the knots using a thin kerf (1/8") blade on a table saw. If so, try using a circular saw blade on your table saw. I use a Freud Diablo 7 1/4" blade. It has a kerf of 1/16" which will allow you you to use a thinner insert.

As far as the shape of the pen, I don't really like the bulge on the lower barrel by the nib. I think a straighter profile would suit the overall shape of the pen.

Keep it up. You'll soon find you get as much enjoyment making the blank as you do making the pen :)

NCWoodworker

I really like the design of the pen! It is a pleasing look and I bet it would get a lot of attention. As said previously, I prefer more of a standard shape (less bulge) but you made a nice design...that's the hard part for sure!

bitshird

out side of the shape of the pen it looks pretty nice, good choice on the woods and from what I can see the finish looks pretty good, try a tripod, I think that might help with the pictures but I'd say you have the Idea and with a little refinement should be running pretty quick.

Top Bottom