Baby rattles.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from daledut

Status
Not open for further replies.

daledut

A while back someone was looking for a captive ring tool to try making a baby rattle. Well that got me thinking (I know you shouldn't try new things without expert help[:p]). So I found a picture of the baby rattle and ordered my captive ring tools. I made 3 of them as gifts for my Sunday school members who just had babies. Here is a photo of 2 of them, my wife took the other one to work with her.

I ruined one in the process of trying to separate the ring. The tool twisted in my hand and snapped the ring right in two.

I know, my photography leaves a lot to be desired. They do have a sheen to them. They are sanded smooth and have shellawax on them since it is food safe.

2005114183918_Baby_rattle.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

daledut

They are about 6 inches long and the ring diameter is rigth around 1.5 inches.

My wife just took the rattle to show her co-workers. Some of them are still at the child bearing age. I am done with having kids, but I am looking forward to grand kids some day. My daughters both got married last year so you never know....[:)]

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
I was one who was enquiring about the tool used to make captive rings...still haven't gotten mine yet...[:(]

seeing the pics again makes me want one again though..[:p]

...looks like you mastered that tool pretty well, rattles look very nice..[:)]

JohnPayton

PenWorks

Pretty neat Dale, Nothing like good ol wood to naw on, sure beats all the plastic junk today, except for palstic PENS!

Anthony

daledut

Thanks for all the compliments. They are fun to make, but you absolutely cannot rush the rings.

The wood is maple, I made a prototype out of Pine, but figured the Maple would hold up to gnawing and abuse better.

daledut

I got the 3/8" from Lee Valley
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=20249&cat=1,330,49233&ap=1

And got a 1/4" from Woodcraft
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?DeptID=4040&FamilyID=1800

They are the same brand but Lee Valley had the better price on the 3/8" but did not carry the 1/4"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom