B40 Scales

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mb757

mb757

I've been playing with a different pattern, second attempt at it: simulates a scale and has kind of a neat look. The woods are very plain, Walnut, Maple and Dyed Veneer, CA finish on a black cigar kit.

Attachments

• DSCF0964.jpg
    DSCF0964.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 248
  • DSCF0965.jpg
    DSCF0965.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 229
  • DSCF0967.jpg
    DSCF0967.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 207
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Excellent design Mark. The woods chosen are excellent for this type of segmenting. I like the pattern.

Thanks for sharing.

cseymour

Those pens look great.
I love the pattern.
Would have loved to seen what the blank looked like before you turned it.

Great job.

Quick question, if you don't mind -- did you cut the segments on a table saw or band saw?

Truly inspiring.

mb757

Wow that's cool! Is that done with a laser?

No laser, the blank is segmented. The trick is angle and thickness of the individual pieces. You can see the blank to the right was the same size, but lost the effect when turned to a smaller size. On the small diameter blanks I should have used a steeper angle to save the effect. Still playing with the pattern cause and effect to see what happens.

mb757

Quick question, if you don't mind -- did you cut the segments on a table saw or band saw?

Truly inspiring.[/QUOTE]

I ended up using a table saw and a jig to cut at a consistent angle, a lot less waste that way and less kerf to compensate for. Sorry l don't have a photo of the blank before turning, but have another in the works, so will try to get one on that one.

Top Bottom