A B-Day Gift For My Son

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JD Combs Sr

JD Combs Sr

My Son saw a previous rebar pen I had made and asked if I could make him one as a pencil.

Somehow in a way that I don't completely understand he uses a lead pencil as a test device on newly manufactured Toyotas. I told him sure and here is the result.

3/8" rebar with only a waxed and polished finish. Before drilling I turned the "blank" down to expose bare metal on all of the little raised features and to give the pen a smoother feel. I drilled it to match the ID of a 7mm tube then simply installed Propel Pencil hardware in 0.5mm lead size.

IMG_6906_5_7_Detail.jpg IMG_6909_8_10_Detail.jpg

IMG_6912_1_3_Detail.jpg IMG_6915.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Who woulda thunk! I've seen rebar pens before and They didn't excite me much, but this is really a nice looking pencil and a pen would be just as nice. Great work.

JD Combs Sr

Who woulda thunk! I've seen rebar pens before and They didn't excite me much, but this is really a nice looking pencil and a pen would be just as nice. Great work.
Thanks Paul, I know what you mean. I also like this rebar for its zig-zag pattern. Most of the patterns are parallel which in it's self has less character. I actually purchased a new piece of rebar for this pen and after getting it turned down to where I wanted it I noticed it was of the parallel variety. I really wanted my sons pen to be the zz style and luckily found a piece long enough left over from the previous pen.

I agree that looks great with the smoothing of the ridges. Nicely done.
Thanks Michael, I don't really care for the feel of the "high" ridges so I typically turn them down to about 0.004 to 0.006 above the valley floors. They are still detectable but not obtrusive. It also gives them a nice highlighting shine.:biggrin:

I'll bet it was a challenge to drill the hole!
That's a really cool pen.
Steve
Thanks Steve and yes the hole is a challenge.:eek: I drill it from both ends because I don't have a drill long enough. I keep my fingers cross that the two drillings meet concentrically in the center.:wink:

That's a great pencil.
Thanks Jim, always appreciate compliments.

CrimsonKeel

Im pretty sure your son does a Pencil hardness test on the paint. basically you rub a certain hardness of lead on the paint to see if it scratches.

I also love your rebar idea for a pen. and it ended up looking really cool looking great job

JD Combs Sr

Great looking pencil. Rebar has been on my to do list for some time. Where did you get the .5 pencil mechanism?
Thanks Alzey, I am not sure but I believe I pulled it from a Slimline Pro pencil kit. The Propel Pencil kit I used had a 0.7mm mechanism in it so I just switched them. Other then lead size they were identical.

Im pretty sure your son does a Pencil hardness test on the paint. basically you rub a certain hardness of lead on the paint to see if it scratches. I also love your rebar idea for a pen. and it ended up looking really cool looking great job
Thanks for the info Ben and thanks for the compliment. I believe he did mention a scratch test.

Love the look of it. Hard to believe it is a piece of rebar.
Thanks Brian, after you have been drilling for about 15 minutes you definitely know it is rebar.:eek:

Top Bottom