Axis Deer Jr Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Here is a piece of the Axis Deer I got from RTJW... beautiful stuff..
Kit is a Platinum Jr Gent Rollerball..
blank was sanded to 600 grit then polished with automotive rubbing and then polishing compound, then plastic polish followed by Cellulose sanding sealer buffed with 000000 steel wool cloth and 2 coats of TSW and Ren wax... real nice glisten almost looks like ivory...

2005415173657_AxisJrGent.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Thanks Ryan... maybe I am too conservative, but I have never been one for embellishing the shapes of the kits, and certain materials just look right nice and plane... on the Jr Gent and Baron the most I might do is give the body a touch of swell.. not much just a bit...

ryannmphs

Tom,
I feel the same way about the shapes, I have tried to "get fancy" with a couple of slim lines but I did not like the way they looked or felt, so I turned down to the tubes and started over.

Ryan

its_virgil

Nice pen as usual Griz! Axis is my favorite antler to turn. I too am not a big fan of the "curvy" profiles and beads and coves, but those that do them do a nice job also. Its our diversity that makes this group unique.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

PenWorks

A very elegant pen Tom, I love when antler can be turned white like that, giving it the ivory look. I can take antlers both ways, white or with the natural rough showing, both have their own individual qualities. That's a sharp one.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, I'm here to learn. What is "Axis" antler?

Clearly, Griz, it (along with a great penturner) makes a beautiful pen, but does it have the cracking problems I have experienced with deer antler? And, when you turn it, does it smell like having your teeth drilled (those of you who are too young to have been to a dentist before the water squirts out of the drill, it used to get hot and smell-a memory I'd like to forget)?

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Here you go everything you need to know about the axis deer but were afraid to ask... LOL
cervaxis.jpg

Axis Deer*
Order Artiodactyla : Family Cervidae : Cervus axix (Erxleben)

Description. A moderately large, spotted deer with three tines on each antler; the brow tine forms nearly a right angle with the beam and the front (or outer) tine of the terminal fork is much longer than the hind (or inner) tine; a gland-bearing cleft is present on the front of the pastern of the hind foot; upperparts yellowish brown to rufous brown, profusely dappled with white spots; abdomen, rump, throat, insides of legs and ears, and underside of tail white; dark stripe from nape to near tip of tail. Dental formula as in Cervus elaphus, but upper canines (the so-called elk teeth) usually lacking. External measurements average: (males) total length, 1.7 m; tail, 200 mm; height at shoulder, 90 cm; females smaller and usually without antlers. Weight, 30-75 kg in males; 25-45 kg in females.
Distribution in Texas. Native to India, where it is known as the "chital," the axis deer was introduced into Texas about 1932. In 1988, free-ranging herds were established in 27 counties of central and southern Texas. At this time, it also occurs as a confined animal on ranches in 67 other counties. Axis deer are the most abundant exotic ungulate in Texas.
Habits. Axis deer are inhabitants of secondary forest lands broken here and there by glades, with an understory of grasses, forbs, and tender shoots which supply adequate drinking water and shade. They tend to avoid rugged terrain. Their food consists largely of grasses at all seasons, augmented with browse. Green grasses less than 10 cm high seem to be preferred. In Texas, they graze on grasses such as paspalum, switchgrass, and little bluestem. Sedges are favorite spring foods. Browse species include live oak, hackberry, and sumac.
These animals are gregarious and usually are found in herds ranging from a few animals to 100 or more. In each herd the leader is usually an old, experienced doe. Unlike our native deer, adult male axis deer normally are found living with herds of young and old animals of both sexes. Anatomically, axis deer are more closely allied to the North American elk than to our native deer. Like our elk, rutting male axis deer emit buglelike bellows, and both sexes have alarm calls or barks.
The reproductive pattern in axis deer is similar to that in domestic cattle. In the wild, bucks with hardened antlers and in rutting condition may be found throughout the year. Each buck seems to have a reproductive cycle of its own which may not be synchronized with that of other bucks in the herd. Consequently, when some bucks are coming into rut, others are going out or are in a non-breeding condition, with no antlers and with their testes quiescent. Likewise, females experience estrous cycles throughout the year with each cycle lasting about 3 weeks. Gravid females may be found throughout the year, but the major breeding season lasts from mid-May through August with a June-July peak in activity. The bucks make no attempt to collect or retain harems of does, but instead they seek out and service the does in each herd as they become receptive.
Normally, only one fawn is produced per pregnancy after a gestation period of 210-238 days. Reflecting the summer peak in rutting activity, nearly 80% of Texas fawns are born in early January to mid-April, although fawns may arrive in all seasons. Following parturition, females again mate during the subsequent breeding period, so that adult females tend to produce one fawn each year. Twins are rare.
Fawns begin eating green forage by 5½ weeks of age, but weaning is delayed until 4-6 months. Permanent dentition is acquired when 2½-3 years of age and adult size is reached at 6 years for females and 4-5 years for males. Possibly, does may breed in the breeding season following birth, but most do not breed until the following season, when 14-17 months of age. Lifespan is 9-13 years, although zoo animals may reach 18-22 years of age.

Now for what you really wanted to know... the antler of the axis deer is almost all ivory.. virtually no pith at all.. it turns like a hard acrylic and did not have any smell whatsoever... it also finished like a dream.. no CA needed at all.. after final sizing using the skew in a scaping manner, I polished with automotive rubbing compound, cleaned with a damp rag and then used automotive polishing compound, cleaned again and then plastic polish on a damp rag... finally some cellulose sanding sealer buffed out smooth and TSW and Ren wax... I will buy more of this when Johnny has it available.. I have 2 left, one is big enough for a El Grande Elite kit I have the other will do another Jr Gent or Baron I think...

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks, always good to learn something new. When you are buying again, please let me know, I'd like to try a couple pieces if you don't mind sharing info. Sounds like they will shed antlers from May to mid-summer-does "Johnny" raise them or just find racks?

vick

I think it looks great, and I know I might get killed for saying it but I think is most (not all) cases less is more when it comes to pen design. Not as fun to make but I personally think it looks better.

Thumbs

<b>Tom</b>,
That is just pure elegance! How can you "bear" to sell these objets d'art? If I could make stuff like that I would probably just hoard it in my "Sanctuary!"[:p]

rtjw

Ed, I live near a wildlife park that has all sorts of deer. I think they have over 700 right now. I can get my hands on as much as I want. Axis just goes so fast. I made three pens in one day out of Axis and didnt even get to show them before the wildlife park called and wanted all three. Red deer acts almost like axis if you can get little antlers. I do have some red deer and fallow right now. I will be going back and hopefully they will have more axis. it is usually taken already by the time I get it.

Randy_

Since signing up here 6 or so months ago, I've probably looked at a thousand pen pictures or more. Tom, that pen is certainly a top 10, probably a top 5, and if I could see some of the top pens side by side, yours would have a strong shot at Best of Show!!

Outstanding job!!
thumb.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom