Axis Antler Emperor F/P

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OKLAHOMAN

OKLAHOMAN

A few days ago I recived a huge box of antler from a trade I had made.Most of the antler was axis according to the dealer.All comments welcome,good,bad,and on the photography if you so desire.

20084418244_3.jpg

200844182426_1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

From the title of the thread and who made the pen, I expected to be wowed. Your work wows me, no problem there. But, somehow, and surprising to me, the combination of the outdoorsy, masculine antler and the froo-froo frilly look of the Emp just don't look right together. That's to my eye and IMHO. It's a lumberjack wearing a tutu. Sorry.

OKLAHOMAN

Frank,I find myself agreeing with you,as I was really expecting the antler to much whiter.Your type feedback was one of the reasons I posted this one as I wasn't sure the kit went with the antler,I will most likely disasemble and change to Rhodium and Bk Ti.(Can't belive I agree with Frank:D[}:)];),)
Originally posted by Rifleman1776

From the title of the thread and who made the pen, I expected to be wowed. Your work wows me, no problem there. But, somehow, and surprising to me, the combination of the outdoorsy, masculine antler and the froo-froo frilly look of the Emp just don't look right together. That's to my eye and IMHO. It's a lumberjack wearing a tutu. Sorry.

stoneman

Roy,
Sorry about the early send. Anyway, I also thought the emporer was a bit dressy for the antler, but it does have some nice goldish and silverish tints in the antler that help tie it all together. I have mixed feelings, but think I kind of like it. Great work in any case. [^]

altaciii

I tend to disagree with those that think the gold and platinum don't go well with the antler. I have done a lot of antler and have had very good luck selling the two tone combo that you have. The difference between axis antler and whitetail or mule deer, the axis will have only one single blood line running all the way thru it where as the other two have a wide band of marrow that gives the different colors when filled with ca as it is turned. Therefore, I believe your pen is of the latter two. Still very, very nice and I believe that it will sell very well the way it is. The only problem with antler, to me, is the fact that in the larger pens, it tends to be a little heavy for the majority of clients that I have.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Roy , that's a nice pen !! To me , it could represent one who is well rounded . Refined , but a little against the grain at the same time . There's someone who would love to have that pen , as it is . You've done such a nice job making it . If you take it apart , that's up to you . But , please don't tell me !!! Thanks for sharing ! [8D]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by OKLAHOMAN

Frank,I find myself agreeing with you,as I was really expecting the antler to much whiter.Your type feedback was one of the reasons I posted this one as I wasn't sure the kit went with the antler,I will most likely disasemble and change to Rhodium and Bk Ti.(Can't belive I agree with Frank:D[}:)];),)
Originally posted by Rifleman1776

Even a blind hog finds a truffle now and then. ;)

leehljp

Member Liaison
I would say to find some antler near the end points that is still large enough for fitting to the Emperor. I bought two Jr. Emperors to use with Moose horn. What I have of moose is solid. I have turned some antler and had both solid and marrow sections.

AS far as expecting much whiter - I think that it would be beautiful in solid white. Your idea of that may be your own, or might have been triggered by a post before in beautiful white antler by someone else - recently or as far back as last summer.

Tanner

Roy, I think you made a man's man pen.[^] A big heavy Emperor dressed in antler. I was looking at my antler here and was thinking the tines are so big, I may need to make a bigger pen to show more white. The coloring is awesome!

JohnU

Hey Roy, I like it. I make a lot of antler pens and have always favored the black titanium with it, but after seeing your finished pen, I think the gold and platinum work very well this this antler character. It gives the pen a very bright, clean, rich and classy appearance. I would not be afraid to put more of these out. The split opinion here should show you that. I would probably make another with the black Ti but I wouldn't change this one. Great Job!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Put me on the "keep it" bandwagon.

Wouldn't be MY favorite, but why take a chance of cracking it, knocking it apart? Make another with the Black ti components, if you want.

And send me an e-mail if you sell it, so I know I should make one;););)

rhahnfl

For what it's worth... I like it the way it is. I think the gold tones in the antler get picked up nicely by the gold of the kit and the class of the emperor kit jazz up the antler itself.

OKLAHOMAN

I'm guessing that you are right,and maybe its not Axis,I was told by the person I recived it from it was but I'm no hunter. I do appreciate all the comments from everyone and decided to leave it in the gold plating and Ed I'll tell you when it sells:D;) but it might be some time before it will[}:)].

Originally posted by altaciii

The difference between axis antler and whitetail or mule deer, the axis will have only one single blood line running all the way thru it where as the other two have a wide band of marrow that gives the different colors when filled with ca as it is turned. Therefore, I believe your pen is of the latter two.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by OKLAHOMAN

I'm guessing that you are right,and maybe its not Axis,I was told by the person I recived it from it was but I'm no hunter. I do appreciate all the comments from everyone and decided to leave it in the gold plating and Ed I'll tell you when it sells:D;) but it might be some time before it will[}:)].

Originally posted by altaciii

The difference between axis antler and whitetail or mule deer, the axis will have only one single blood line running all the way thru it where as the other two have a wide band of marrow that gives the different colors when filled with ca as it is turned. Therefore, I believe your pen is of the latter two.

A lot of the Axis will have only a thin blood line in center. But some (I have a few pieces) will have a marrow not unlike whitetail. It is a natural product and you gets whats you gets. Don't like? Go plastic. [xx(] ;)

Top Bottom