Avoid This Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveAxelrod

SteveAxelrod

I purchased the Penn Stone Beige with Gold Veins Pen Blank Item #WXPST05 from PSI. After partly turning the lower barrel I noticed a green flaw in the blank. I decided to finish turning the pen and evaluate the end result. Upon pressing the upper barrel onto the cap the blank split. This is the second time I've had this same problem with this blank. When I tried to remove the blank and repair the crack it broke into pieces. That was several hours down the drain!

Conclusion: Avoid this blank!

Attachments

• Princess.jpg
    Princess.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 368
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

I have had that problem with similar blanks. I always make sure there is no debris in the barrel. And yet it has happened when a component just fits too tight and expands the barrel. Other times I find components that are too loose and require a bit of CA. Stuff just happens. Very nice attempt though.

Rolandranch

I believe that Penn Stone is the same as Yunstone which is the Chinese version of TruStone. I've tried it twice before and it is some of the worst stuff I've ever worked with. It falls apart when drilling and cracks during assembly. Mine also had flaws in them. I've made over a hundred pens with the real TruStone and have never experienced any of these quality issues. The Chinese stuff is a lot cheaper to buy but saving 10 bucks isn't worth the hours of wasted time and possible returns from unhappy customers.

OZturner

I notice that it is on a Princess Pen Cap, Steve.
Perhaps a coincidence, but I had a Princess Pen Cap, split a Pink Ivory Wood Blank.
I have built a number of Princess Pens using Pink Ivory Blanks and only had one Split, I am wondering if the Clip and Finial section could be a little oversize?
I still haven't dismantled it yet, but I will measure it and the Tube i/d to see how much interference there is.
I am not expecting to find anything wrong, as the comments on that Penn Stone Beige with Gold Veins blank seem pretty damming.
Regards,
Brian.

Last edited:

SteveAxelrod

I've made several Princess pens and never had a problem with the blank splitting when being pressed onto the barrel. I think the Penn Stone material just doesn't expand enough as needed. PSI's website says "Must drill with Penn Stone Drill Bit Set" bit I didn't have any problem drilling these blanks with a high speed acryllic bit. PSI provided me a refund for the blank and the pen kit, so I'm just out the time.

Top Bottom