Aviation pen and acorn pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Marko50

Marko50

I'm a commercial pilot and my crew members love these pens. The map one is out of a low altitude navigation map. Must be a pilot thing, but hey, I found a niche! Also, tried casting some acorn tops in Alumilite. Let me know what you think. I'll take any and all comments, pros and cons

Attachments

• heberpen.jpg
    heberpen.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 480
  • Heberpen2.jpg
    Heberpen2.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 383
  • Acornpen.jpg
    Acornpen.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 468
  • Acornpen2.jpg
    Acornpen2.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Marko Terrific Pens,
Great job on the Acorn Blank,
Love the colour, Fantastic Fit and Finish.
The Aviator Map, as I mentioned on your earlier post,
a Brilliant Idea, you can get a lot of pens out of a single trip, very Clever,
Again Fantastic Fit and Finish.
Brian.

hornet406

Beautiful looking pens. Being a aviation buff and pilot myself, I love the chart pen. If I might ask, did you cast it yourself? I was wondering because yours looks great and every time I attempt to cast paper, it discolors. Thanks in advance for your response and great job again.

SDB777

Did you need to run the acorn caps through a dehumidifier or anything to get the moisture down, or were they already nicely dry?
Had an 'issue' the first time I ran a casting of them...

Is that a 'topo map'? Pretty neat!!

Scott (where is my global warming) B

Marko50

Beautiful looking pens. Being a aviation buff and pilot myself, I love the chart pen. If I might ask, did you cast it yourself? I was wondering because yours looks great and every time I attempt to cast paper, it discolors. Thanks in advance for your response and great job again.

Michael, to answer your question, I did cast this pen myself. I used Alumilite Clear on this one. As far as tube preparation goes, I just used a thin CA glue to adhere the map section to the tube. Then I let it dry and de-gas for a couple of days. I put on two coats of Mod-Podge and let that dry for a couple of days as well before I cast it. I used a pressure pot to get rid of any air bubbles. Perhaps in your future attempts, try sealing the paper you are casting. (maybe you're already doing that?) Like I said, Mod-Podge works pretty well for me.

Gregf

Great idea!
Wonder if I have any old charts from back when.
I would think pilots would go for a pen that has their home field on it.

How about scanning, reducing their certificate printing it on a label and casting that in a pen ?

Marko50

Did you need to run the acorn caps through a dehumidifier or anything to get the moisture down, or were they already nicely dry?
Had an 'issue' the first time I ran a casting of them...

Is that a 'topo map'? Pretty neat!!

Scott (where is my global warming) B

Thanks Scott! I did dry the acorn tops before using them. I just spread a bunch of them out on a cookie sheet, turned the oven to 140 degrees and let them dry for around 18 hours. The map is an aviation low level "VFR (visual flight rules) Sectional" navigation map. They have the most amazing detail and colors on them!

smokinghole

Genius. I'm going to get some old sectionals with my local airfield on it and do a few. Bet they would sell fast if I got a few in the "Gizmo's for sale" case at the FBO.

Top Bottom