Autumn Leaves Trio; overmarbled alcohol inks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

A dear landscape painter friend requested Autumn Leaves themed fountain pens for field sketching. Here's the resulting Virage trio:

Steps:
Acetone-washed brass tubes
Alcohol inked paintings (Copic and Blick brand brush markers), dried overnight
Applied 2 coats of Daniel Smith transparent watercolor ground - each coat dried x 48 hours
Alum'ed (see my previous posts about marbling), dried overnight
Marbled with Golden High Flow acrylics mixed with a tiny bit of mica powder
Cast tube-in with Douglas and Sturgess Clear Casting Resin, mixed with gold and copper flake (50psi)
Turned and finished as usual

attachment.php

attachment.php

Happy Saturday to All - Bob

Attachments

• TransparentGround,Inkies,markison,sept16,17,800px.jpg
    TransparentGround,Inkies,markison,sept16,17,800px.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 576
  • AutumnLeavesTrio,MarbledAlcoholInks,markison,sept,2017,800px.jpg
    AutumnLeavesTrio,MarbledAlcoholInks,markison,sept,2017,800px.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

I don't know if it's the glare off of the resin or not, but the tubes look an awful lot nicer then the finished pens look. Don't take this the wrong way, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the pens. I just think the blanks without the resin looks nicer, maybe it's because without the resin the paint and flake are clearer to see.
Len

Bob in SF

Many thanks to all for kind comments!

Lucky2/Len - You make a good point: part of the dulling effect on the alcohol-based ink underpainting is glare - but part of it is probably process. I did not seal the alcohol inks with clear acrylic, so it it likely that the inks flowed up/out into the overlying transparent watercolor ground, causing the muting or dulling effect. Glad for your observation, because I'll try sealing the inks on the next run - thanks!

Here are the final close-up views of top and bottom barrels - taken just before the pens left home (still too much glare in the pix):

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks again! - Bob

Attachments

• OvermarbledEtOHInkTopBarrels,markison,Sept16,2017,800px.jpg
    OvermarbledEtOHInkTopBarrels,markison,Sept16,2017,800px.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 262
  • OvermarbledEtOHInkBottomBarrels,markison,Sept16,2017,800px.jpg
    OvermarbledEtOHInkBottomBarrels,markison,Sept16,2017,800px.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 225

Bob in SF

PS: I just turned this pen:
Acetone washed non-sanded brass tube
2 coats of Daniel Smith Transparent Watercolor Ground (without alcohol ink underpainting)
Alum'ed as usual
Twice marbled with Golden High Flow Acrylics (alum'ed between marblings)
Sealed with airbrushed Createx Top Coat (gloss) acrylic
Tube-in PR cast
Turned/finished as usual

attachment.php

The clarity of the marbling without an alcohol ink underpainting confirms to me that the Transparent Ground works well, and if an underpainting is done, it should be sealed with acrylic before application of Transparent Ground. All of this is subject to further experimentation, but I'm pleased with the quality and versatility of the Daniel Smith Watercolor Grounds (I have no financial interest in, nor have I received any free products from Daniel Smith).

More fun ahead - Bob

Attachments

• MarbledTransparentGroundOverBrass,markison,sept16,17,800px.jpg
    MarbledTransparentGroundOverBrass,markison,sept16,17,800px.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
I've been watching this process progress and let me say that these are outstanding. What's even better though is how you've explained the process along the way. Many wouldn't have taken the time you did to teach it... I'm not sure if I'm ready to tackle yet another learning curve but you've certainly got me, and likely many others, thinking.

Bob in SF

Tim - Humble thanks for your kind words! - can't help but teach - my Mom taught elementary school and drilled it in.

- Bob

magpens

Wow ! .... truly beautiful, Bob .... some of your most interesting work yet !!!!

Thank you for this thread !!

Last edited:

Bob in SF

Many thanks Mal and Michael!

I studied ancient Chinese calligraphy - condensed 4 character proverbs - mostly arising from the time of civil wars (481-221BCE) - with some master brush buddies in Chinatown, SF this past weekend - still struggling, steep learning curve, but learning a lot.

This will likely lead to my next pen gambit: Chinese Proverbs - Cheng-Yu style - stay tuned.

Happy Monday to all - Bob

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
My but these are beautiful! It is such a pleasure when artisians from other mediums discover penturning and bring in a whole new set of skills.

Carry on Bob - These are wonderful. And I agree about teaching, that is how we further our skills and artistry. Most folks do not recognize the name Andrea del Verrocchio, but he did mentor and teach a 14 yr old student - Leonardo da Vinci.

Top Bottom