Autumn Leaves

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

This is Autumn Leaves, a blank from the MasterScroller, Jeff Powell, which arrived today from Exotic Blanks. Couldn't wait to turn it! It's on a Titanium Gold Jr. Gentleman Fountain Pen. Hope you enjoy seeing it. Comments welcome and thanks so much for looking. Have a great weekend! Doc:)

Attachments

• Autumn Leaves_2.jpg
    Autumn Leaves_2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 219
  • Autumn Leaves_1.jpg
    Autumn Leaves_1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 269
  • Autumn Leaves.jpg
    Autumn Leaves.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 198
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
And another beauty to add to your collection!

That is a beautiful blank and you have done it proud!
Great workmanship!

Have a great weekend yourself!

Andrew

OKLAHOMAN

Doc, great execution of one of one of his best. One of my proudest moments was when he asked me to turn the first Fall Leaf pen and take photos of the turning for a magazine.. The pen was sent to the magazine then sent back to me and is in my collection next to a couple of Eagles pens.

ctubbs

Doc, that is not fair. It just ain't fair! That is three perfect pens in one day! Go back to work and give us a chance to repair our eyes. That is so beautiful. You did Jeff's blank proud today. Between you both, that is one way beautiful pen.
Charles

jttheclockman

Doc I have said this before and will say it again. The black background is taking away from the real beauty of your pens. There is something with your setup that just does not show your pens in the right light. I bet if you took photos in your lighter background setup that pen would look a whole lot different. I and not sure anyone else wants to say it but the colors don't show up well. Now this is just once again my opinion and you do what you want. As always you do some very fine work and you have brought Jeff's creation to life. Thanks for showing. Hope you don't mind the critique.

wizard

Looks beautiful Doc...nice to see you were able to score one. Did you have to file the tubes down very much inside to get your bushings in?
Jeff, I didn't need to file the inside of the tubes at all. The bushing fit was snug and the tubes didn't seem distorted at all. It's a beautiful blank!! Regards,
Doc

wizard

Doc I have said this before and will say it again. The black background is taking away from the real beauty of your pens. There is something with your setup that just does not show your pens in the right light. I bet if you took photos in your lighter background setup that pen would look a whole lot different. I and not sure anyone else wants to say it but the colors don't show up well. Now this is just once again my opinion and you do what you want. As always you do some very fine work and you have brought Jeff's creation to life. Thanks for showing. Hope you don't mind the critique.

John,
I welcome the critique. I have started and have used lighter backgrounds with darker colored pens and didn't really like the photos that much with the gray in the picture. If you get a chance look at the photos withmy Black Tru-stone with pyrite post and let me know what you think. I have more in my members album.I'm just trying to find a way to use a altogether white background by adjusting the white balance or to eliminate the background altogether making it blend into the page. Regards, Doc

jttheclockman

John,
I welcome the critique. I have started and have used lighter backgrounds with darker colored pens and didn't really like the photos that much with the gray in the picture. If you get a chance look at the photos withmy Black Tru-stone with pyrite post and let me know what you think. I have more in my members album.I'm just trying to find a way to use a altogether white background by adjusting the white balance or to eliminate the background altogether making it blend into the page. Regards, Doc

Doc

I am by no stretch of the imagination qualified to give photo pointers so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. But from what I see your light source has a yellow tint to it. Now is that the camera or the lamps I do not know. But it makes your wood and fittings look yellow and washed out. Also when you lay the pen right on the black felt the light is so absorbed, it again washes out the definition of the pen and fittings because of the glare on them. They look like half a clip or nib or cap was used. I think if you would stand the pen off the felt the light can now wrap around the pen better and maybe giving a better definition. But as I said I think a color such as grey has such a neutral effect on the light source and you camera is able to distinguish colors better. Using white as a background to me is too generic and sterile. It will help pick up every light shine line if you are after that. A light blue is also a nice background color that will allow the camera to focus better. On the leaf pen the wood has such a yellow tint and I know for fact it is more brown and also the leaves are a maple color not yellow. Take a photo with your light background and post them side by side and you will see the difference. Some times monitors will see photos differently and sometimes our eyes see it differently also. You have taken so many photos now with the black background your eye is trained on that look. Swith it up and you may see what I see.

Like I said others probably do not agree with me at all and love your photos and they are good don't get me wrong but I think they can be better and your work can be even nmore appreciated.

wizard

John,

Doc

I am by no stretch of the imagination qualified to give photo pointers so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. But from what I see your light source has a yellow tint to it. Now is that the camera or the lamps I do not know. But it makes your wood and fittings look yellow and washed out. Also when you lay the pen right on the black felt the light is so absorbed, it again washes out the definition of the pen and fittings because of the glare on them. They look like half a clip or nib or cap was used. I think if you would stand the pen off the felt the light can now wrap around the pen better and maybe giving a better definition. But as I said I think a color such as grey has such a neutral effect on the light source and you camera is able to distinguish colors better. Using white as a background to me is too generic and sterile. It will help pick up every light shine line if you are after that. A light blue is also a nice background color that will allow the camera to focus better. On the leaf pen the wood has such a yellow tint and I know for fact it is more brown and also the leaves are a maple color not yellow. Take a photo with your light background and post them side by side and you will see the difference. Some times monitors will see photos differently and sometimes our eyes see it differently also. You have taken so many photos now with the black background your eye is trained on that look. Swith it up and you may see what I see.

Like I said others probably do not agree with me at all and love your photos and they are good don't get me wrong but I think they can be better and your work can be even nmore appreciated.

John,
I have time off today. Sooo...My wife is taking me to Hobby Lobby in about 30 minutes to get some other materials for backgrounds. I am going to change up the direction of my light source through the light box and see what happens. Hopefully, I can post the revised pictures today. It will be fun :):). Doc

wizard

Here is another version of the pictures with a lighter background.
I'm going to try a few different settings on my own but thought I would at least show these. Doc:)

Attachments

• Autumn Leaves WB_2.jpg
    Autumn Leaves WB_2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Autumn Leaves WB_1.jpg
    Autumn Leaves WB_1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Autumn Leaves WB.jpg
    Autumn Leaves WB.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 91

jttheclockman

Here is another version of the pictures with a lighter background.
I'm going to try a few different settings on my own but thought I would at least show these. Doc:)

See, something is causing your photos to have a yellowish tint. It could be the lamps being used are not matching up to the settings on the camera. You need one of those techno guys to tell you what to adjust though. I am a point and shoot in the auto mode person myself.

Top Bottom