Autumn Gold - 4th pen - Newton inspired

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tortoise

Tortoise

Finished my 4th pen this morning. Though it's a far cry from Shawn Newton's beautiful work, I wanted to try something similar. Thanks for the inspiration, Shawn!

Autumn Golds acrylic from Exotic Blanks.
#6 Two-tone gilded steel Meisternib, Medium
Cartridge/Converter fill

Overall Length Capped: 5.4"
Uncapped: 5"
Posted: 6.4"

Cap Diameter: .67"
Barrel Diameter: .56"
Section Diameter: .5"

I just found the Member Photo Album feature, so I hope I'm using it properly!

1_04-AG-IMG_3410.jpg

1_04-AG-IMG_3411.jpg

1_04-AG-IMG_3412.jpg

1_04-AG-IMG_3416.jpg

1_04-AG-IMG_3417.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
Thanks for posting this one Renee!!! Couple of questions for the fun of it...what would happen if you painted the inside of the body and cap? I have to get my mind around the fact there are no tubes! I really like the finial...is it the same material or other stuff? Nice work...looks like your 50th!!

Tortoise

Thanks for posting this one Renee!!! Couple of questions for the fun of it...what would happen if you painted the inside of the body and cap? I have to get my mind around the fact there are no tubes! I really like the finial...is it the same material or other stuff? Nice work...looks like your 50th!!

Thank you for the kind words :)

The finial is from the same material as the rest of the pen. Th blanks have some golden areas and some darker brownish orange bits. I intentionally chose to put darker areas near the end of the barrel, where the barrel and section join, and for the finial, so it has that three part thing going on. :rolleyes: I've attached a pic of the blank for you.

As for painting the inside, well the closest I can come would be to fill up the barrel with ink. I use most of my pens as eyedroppers anyway, so pick a color and I'll fill 'er up for you so you can see the result. Mostly it will make the barrel a bit darker, regardless of color.

Attachments

• 04-AG-IMG_3420.jpg
    04-AG-IMG_3420.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 119

BSea

Very cool. I'd like to see the pen disassembled.

what would happen if you painted the inside of the body and cap? I have to get my mind around the fact there are no tubes!
I don't think painting is an option. The threads would wear off the paint, and probably ruin the look. A possibility is to make a sleeve of ebonite or alumilite. But that's a lot more work.

Gilrock

Nice job Renee!

About the photo links there are several ways to add photos to a thread. I did a search a couple weeks ago when I was having trouble and found these helpful video links:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f63/using-forums-video-tips-92236/

What I notice is the photos in your thread are not clickable. I know there's a different way to link them so that they can be clicked to open up the original image at a larger size. Also the forum software is famous for making photos blurry when it resizes them. I thought you hadn't taken very sharp photos until I saw them in the recent photos area of the image gallery and clicked on them. The originals look great.

Tortoise

Nice job Renee!

About the photo links there are several ways to add photos to a thread. I did a search a couple weeks ago when I was having trouble and found these helpful video links:

What I notice is the photos in your thread are not clickable. I know there's a different way to link them so that they can be clicked to open up the original image at a larger size. Also the forum software is famous for making photos blurry when it resizes them. I thought you hadn't taken very sharp photos until I saw them in the recent photos area of the image gallery and clicked on them. The originals look great.

Thanks for the tips. I'll check them out and see if I can edit the post.

Tortoise

Nice job Renee!

Thanks for the tips. I'll check them out and see if I can edit the post.

Well, it seems I'm too late to edit my post, so the fuzzy pics will have to stay. I did the copy & paste option, so next time I post I'll be sure to change the "medium" part to large. Will it then be clickable, too?

SDB777

Shawn will make you spend your money on tooling, and he's got you hooked by the looks!! Well done!!!

Did I miss it?
What taps/dies did you use? Triple start?

Scott (and clipped too....I'm jealous) B

Tortoise

Great looking pen, Renee. That's a pretty blank.

Very nice!! I won't post my first finished here. It was made from scraps

That looks great!!! Love the profile of the pen and the look of that resin..perfect with the gold hardware!

Shawn will make you spend your money on tooling, and he's got you hooked by the looks!! Well done!!!

Did I miss it?
What taps/dies did you use? Triple start?

Scott (and clipped too....I'm jealous) B

Thanks for the compliments, everyone! It's very encouraging.

Scott, here are the taps & dies. Single start -- there's no way I could afford triple start!

Finial: 7/16 x 20
Cap/Barrel: 14 x .75
Section/Barrel: 10 x .75
Nib: 7.4 x 5

Gilrock

Well, it seems I'm too late to edit my post, so the fuzzy pics will have to stay. I did the copy & paste option, so next time I post I'll be sure to change the "medium" part to large. Will it then be clickable, too?

I think it would be clickable. You can always hit the "Preview Post" button to check how it will turn out. I tried the method of using a photo stored in the forum library and changing the tag to "large" but it seemed like it still did a small amount of resizing and did not look as good as an image that I attached using the paper clip and uploading from my PC. I should create a thread and post the same image different ways to see how it turns out.

glycerine

Wow Renee! I've been away from the forum for a little while because "life" got in the way, but I've been back on a bit lately and saw your name mentioned. You have really jumped right in there! Great job!

Top Bottom