Australian Sandalwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from boof910

boof910

I have had a stash of Australian Sandalwood blanks carefully cut from a lovely piece purchased in Broome Western Australia in January. I finally found the time to pour and turn these couple of not so "Wasted Wood".

IMG_1419.jpgIMG_1420.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Yes, I was just thinking the same thing, I saw thousands of Sandalwood trees is their natural habitat, long ago when I worked in the QLD Outback, I knew of a fellow that had a special permit to cut a few of these protected woods, there a couple other species that could only be cut and sold under this permit, caught without it, where heavy penalties.

I also know of a place that had about 20,000 acres chained and later burnt, that had all the main wood species in that region, including a couple of Gidgee species.

I recall to have seen small extrusions from some of these trees but nothing small than a medium to large soup bowl so, quite small in the burl world.

I also know that, the bloke that done it, is still I believe in jail, he was the manager of this very large property and he got the $#!ts of not being able to find the cattle in that area of the property, the place was thick of scrub and trees so, he pushed all the cattle out of there with these 2 large bulldozers and a long chain that you and I together, couldn't lift, hardly move a single link, everything got root out, and flattened, very quickly, the only problem was that, that cleaning system was practically illegal and what got him in very deep hot waters was the fire was traced from satellite and was no permit to burn for that area and it was a big fire.

I betcha, if I could go there today, (I know the place, I worked there) I would be bringing home a big truck full of large logs that never burnt, in some of those areas where the grass and scrub was scars, called clay-pens ...!

So, all this to say that, I have never seen Sandalwood burl cur up and processed/finished...!

Great casts, and pens, congrats...!

Cheers
George

boof910

Cheers guys.
100% correct on the restrictions for collecting Sandalwood in the wild.
The Australian Sandalwood used for these pens was purchased from a registered producer who has acres of trees in Kununurra in the Kimberley region of Western Australia and outlets for their Sandalwood products in Kununurra and Broome. Having worked with timber for a few years I was well aware of the restrictions and ensured there were no limits to how I could use the timber before purchasing.
Glad you liked the pens!

Top Bottom