Australian grass tree know as.........

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Darley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darley

Here's a Jr Statesman 22k on grass tree or know as well here in OZland " Blackboy " discussion was made on paltalk yesterday, here's the site to the grass tree http://tinyurl.com/8wnp7

Comments Welcome

200621732424_blackboy.jpg

200621732459_blackboy3.jpg

200621732527_blakboy4.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Hi Serge,

funny that you mention the 'blackboy' tree since a friend of mine just returned from Australia and gave me some jarrah wood. Correct me if I am wrong, but are these trees not somewhat sacred in Oz according to the aboriginals who have them named in their honor? Is it politically correct to use the term 'blackboy'? I got quite the educational background from my friend but would like to hear your story.

By the way, NICE pen.

-Peter-[:D]

Dario

Nice pen!

That somehow looks different from other grasstree (blackboy) I've seen. Your picture looks like a solid wood...the blackboy I know is somehow closer looking to that of a palm with the fibers less orderly :D.

I am actually intersted in buying some but can't seem to find a supplier.

CameronPotter

Yeah Dario, I thought the same thing...

Mind you it is still a nice pen.

As for political correctness, until they change the name - what can you do? Maybe call it by its botanical name, but nobody would know what you meant. [?]

Cam

Dario

Originally posted by thetalbott4
<br />Dario- I have a nice piece of grass tree if you are interested. Roughly 4-5" dia (top)x 12-15" long or so. Let me know.
I am actually intersted in buying some but can't seem to find a supplier.

I am interested...please check your email [:)]

Thanks,

wayneis

Serge absolutely beautful work. Interesting tree. I think that some of our more fancy kits work well with wood that may be a little more plain, without the really fancy grain, like this one. The kit shows off the wood and the wood shows off the kit.

Wayne

Darley

Originally posted by wood-of-1kind
<br />Hi Serge,

funny that you mention the 'blackboy' tree since a friend of mine just returned from Australia and gave me some jarrah wood. Correct me if I am wrong, but are these trees not somewhat sacred in Oz according to the aboriginals who have them named in their honor? Is it politically correct to use the term 'blackboy'? I got quite the educational background from my friend but would like to hear your story.

By the way, NICE pen.

-Peter-[:D]

Sorry been out for the weekend, Peter never heard that grass tree was sacred but I know that they're protected, by the end of this month export of the grass tree will be stopped, Blackboy is a nick name as is doesn't grow very tall ence the nick name I think.

Dario I will compared to the black palm no chip when you turn it only dust I did wear a mask though start to finish.

Thanks for your comments

Darley

Here's the notice to stop the export ,

http://tinyurl.com/kcw9n

Hey Dario you should order your bottle tree now in several years you could make a good harvest of pen blanks [:D][:p]
look at this.

http://tinyurl.com/lk38c

Randy_

Originally posted by Darley
<br />...Blackboy is a nick name as is doesn't grow very tall ence the nick name I think....

Serge: I was told during one of my visits to your homeland many years ago that the name was derived from their appearance after a fire had swept through the area. All of the charred trunks look like a bunch of.....well, black boys....standinmg around???

Sound right or were they just doing a job on me???

Darley

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />One could be tempted to move to Australia just for all the great woods. Except the government wouldn't let me bring my guns. [:(!] Oh, well. [:(]

Why would you bring your gun?? to shoot Roos? beside you don't need a gun to harvest pen blanks unless you want steal my stock[:D]

Darley

Could be right Randy, but I know that the trunk is black with out a fire, after a bush fire you can see only the trunks standing up all burn down but the tree is not dead and will re-veget after a good rain

Randy_

Found the following after a quick search. Apparently the name came from the native Australians.

http://www.pawlan.com/Monica/xanthor/

I'm going look a little further for a picture of the tree after a fire.

wood-of-1kind

BLACKBOY - 'Afro'(grass tree) get the connection.

Serge, thanks for the reply. I guess the reference was that these trees are well protected(by gov't) that they can not be exported. Shame since it looks to be a nice specie that I would've enjoyed adding to my collection.

-Peter-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom