Australian Dogwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ironwood

Ironwood

Heres a Xcut Dogwood that I just finished. CA finish, topped off with canauba wax.

It's hard to get the true colours to show up in the pics, it has sapwood at the top, The darker bands are blue and green.

IMG_0506.jpgIMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0515.jpgIMG_0514.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

Brad,

Looking good mate. Very schmick piece of Dogwood I reckon its a keeper as well.

The only Dogwood I have had came from Tassie was no where in the same class. Youve done well and I agree sometimes it is hard to capture the beauty.

Regards Peter.

Ironwood

Very nice pen Brad! a keeper in my books too.has the floods affected your area,watching the news reports it's the worst iv ever seen a horrible start for the new year.
Thanks John.
Mackay missed out this time, luckily for us, not so lucky for lots of others though.
The reports from the Toowoomba and Lockyer Valley areas are alarming, to say the least. Last I heard was 8 dead, and 72 missing.

If your finish wasn't so deep and glossy we might be able to tell something about the wood.
I'll try to scuff up the finish a bit next time :biggrin:

That's really nice... I had no idea that you Aussies had dogwood there.
I'm not sure if it's the same type you get over there David. The Aussie Dogwood could be just a local name. Here's a link to the tree.
http://www.ttit.id.au/treepages/dogwood.htm

LeeR

I'm not sure if it's the same type you get over there David. The Aussie Dogwood could be just a local name. Here's a link to the tree.

Now I think you could easily unload some of those blanks if you decided to sell some to us folks up north!

Beautiful pen, by the way. The article you reference does refer to blues and greens, so maybe most blanks exhibit this coloration?

Last edited:

Ironwood

All the blanks I've got, have got some of the blue and green through them. I dont have enough to sell sorry. Unless oneday I find a tree of my own.

Ironwood

Thanks to all for the kind words.

I have had a few offers to buy this pen, but have resisted so far.
One guy wanted it because it reminded him of a piece of Agate.
I will sell it eventually I suppose.

get over there David. The Aussie Dogwood could be just a local name. Here's a link to the tree.

Thanks for the link... Some interesting trees listed, and a lot of nice turnings.
No worries David. Vern lives a few hours to the west of me, he has put together a great website. It's a handy resource.

Top Bottom