Austrailian pen swap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Glenn McCullough

We were invited to a international pen swap over at the Pen Shop hosted by Australia's woodwork forum(http://www.woodworkforums.com). There are many countries represented in the swap, most of whom got to swap with someone down under.
I was lucky enough to swap with Amos(Woodenink). Quite the talented fellow, who allowed me to choose from several pens, most of which were Emperors and I would like to have chosen them all. However, wanting to be a gracious guest, I chose the stunning crosscut Cocobolo. It is an incredibly well made fountain pen, fit and finish are top shelf and writes like a dream.
For him, I made a rhodium jr retro rollerball and closed the end. Its body is stabilized, yellow dyed box elder burl from AS while the black accents are acrylic from CSUSA. He claims to be delighted with it, I hope he enjoys it.
Below are some photos of the swap.

2008220112319_emp%20coco3.jpg

2008220112349_emperor%20coco.jpg

2008220112422_Jr%20retro%20rb%20feb%2008.jpg

2008220112439_jr%20retro%20rb%20open%20feb%2008.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Great swap, Glenn! The Retro you made Amos looks very nice and any of us would be proud to own it. I know I would. This is the first mix of organic and synthetic that I've really liked (if you exclude the Gisi's work).

avbill

I really like the look of the Jr. Retro. The mixture of wood and acrylic is great. The smaller black acrylic accents the pen.

My question Now
So how did you get the curved box elder cut on the diagonal ?

the only way I see been done is you cut the two pieces on the diagonal first. Glue one of the pieces on the tube first Then put the black acrylic in a closed-ended tool and shaded the acrylic and then glued them together. this seems the longer way of doing the cap.

Bill Daniels

simomatra

Great swap Glenn, I like both pens but have an eye for the one you made. I know that Amos is over the moon with it

Maybe we can extend the offer of the international swap to members of this forum next time.

For those of you who don't know I was the organizer from the other forum.

My swap was posted this week but in my haste forgot to photograph it.:(

Pretty much accurate.
It takes four trips to the lathe. The smaller diameter cap material is glued up, then turned using a saccrificial supporting piece cut at the same angle but not glued. After final finish of that smaller diameter section, you put the larger diameter section on, assuring to exactly match the angle and turn it slightly larger then finish.
For the body, I turned the wood first on a shortened tube and added the black section after turning that on a baron tube in a collet chuck. The baron tube fits perfectly inside the retro tube and is epoxied into place.
Originally posted by avbill

I really like the look of the Jr. Retro. The mixture of wood and acrylic is great. The smaller black acrylic accents the pen.

My question Now
So how did you get the curved box elder cut on the diagonal ?

the only way I see been done is you cut the two pieces on the diagonal first. Glue one of the pieces on the tube first Then put the black acrylic in a closed-ended tool and shaded the acrylic and then glued them together. this seems the longer way of doing the cap.

Bill Daniels

Originally posted by alamocdc

Great swap, Glenn! The Retro you made Amos looks very nice and any of us would be proud to own it. I know I would. This is the first mix of organic and synthetic that I've really liked (if you exclude the Gisi's work).
Hey, being mentioned in the same post with the Gisi's is ok by me. I thank you for the compliment.

Originally posted by R2

Did my post stir up a sympathy vote for Glenn? If so it was not meant too nor was any diminution of Glenn's beautiful pen intended.
It was taken as a compliment to Amos' creation, if others had seen the pen he made for me in person, they may tend agree with you.

TurnaPen

:)Greetings to you all in USA, I am new here and joined because an excellent turner told me about you, he even bribed me with a pen!!![:p];), (only joking) If you saw the pen Glenn made for me in person I would need to hire bodyguards to protect it from "walking"!.
I normally live in the Woodwork Forum here in Australia, but thought I might "travel" a little and meet fellow turners from other places.
Even though he has tried to explain how he cut on the diagonal, I step by step photos so i can try to copy it!:D So, now Glenn can make me another and photograph it all the way.(HA!) Many thanks for a great pen Glenn. Amos

Originally posted by simomatra

Great swap Glenn, I like both pens but have an eye for the one you made. I know that Amos is over the moon with it

Maybe we can extend the offer of the international swap to members of this forum next time.

For those of you who don't know I was the organizer from the other forum.

My swap was posted this week but in my haste forgot to photograph it.:(

Sam, You did a fine job organizing the swap. It was so fluid , the way it came together in no time with immediate participation, well done. I am looking forward to seeing the pen you made as well as all the others. I hope those here will pop into into the swap and peek at the trades.

BigShed

I am taking part in the Great Australian Pen Swap as well, so ably organised by simomatra (Sam)

I must say though that if I had seen pens of the calibre produced by Woodenink (Amos) and oobak (Glenn), that I may have thought twice about joining in!

But it has certainly given this novice plenty of incentive to produce something reasonable for my American partner.

I'd like to say a public "thank you" to Sam for organising this pen swap, as well as being extremely helpful in getting me started on this road of addiction.:)

TurnaPen

Fred, don't you dare put yourself down, just keep making those pens, it is the thought behind it all that counts, I for one would be honoured to receive a pen from you, and it can be a slimline made of red gum, and I still would be pleased and thrilled. Amos

simomatra

My pleasure Fred

As Amos says you might be new but you are well in there. I would say the 99% of pen turners started on the slimline and some have never graduated, you are already onto a perfect pen.

You have the addiction so thee is no stopping you and you do think beyond the square:D

alxe24

Both pens look great. But the one you made to me it looks a lot more interesting. I would take the Retro due to being a lot more original and I really like what you did there

Top Bottom