Aussie Collection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from thetalbott4

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetalbott4

I did these for a guy that owns several high end galleries that specialize in Australian materials and products. It's my "audition" or "samples" to see if he wants to carry them. If he likes them, he will put them in Park City, Palm Springs and Carmel. 7+ figure clients! Let us bow our heads and pray to the sales gods! Top to bottom they are Lace Sheoak, Red Mallee Burl (fountain), Hairy Oak, and Yorrel Burl (fountain). Comments welcome. I didnt buff them up very well before photographing them so they are a little dull on the finish.

54135_Aussie%20Collection%20For%20Gallery%20Custom.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thetalbott4

Just tricks. When I looked at it my heart skipped a beat and I ran out to double check. I think its the angle I shot the pic at along with the wide angle lens distortion. Whew!

Dario

Since these sample pens will give you a chance to market your craft...which for me is a major event...would you welcome any constructive criticism?

Dario

I am a bit concerned with the finish...that is why I asked what finish you are using initially.

If your market will be high end as mentioned, only durable finish will do (unless requested otherwise). Durable finish, in my opinion should stay shiny even if it is not buffed. Buffing after assembly is only to clean smudges...not to give it a shine (the shine should be there already) IMHO.

I don't want to sound too critical but as I mentioned, these samples (as well as all your work) can make or break you. This kind of opportunity comes only once and I don't want anyone I know to miss it if I can help...even just a bit. Yes even if it means sticking my head out and exposing myself to the possibility of being misunderstood.

If I were you at this stage, I will not hesitate one bit to disassemble and refinish if I have any reservation that what I made is not the best that I possibly can.

I sincerely hope you understand that I mean well.

BTW, I am not in anyway saying that I can make better pens than you...just being a critic [:D]

Good luck!!!

thetalbott4

I see what your saying and agree to some extent. I produced several with high gloss finishes (which i prefer) and was told that they wash out the material and dont give the feel or "hand" that translates the nature of Aussie material. So, after scratching my head for a minute, I said," you prefer a satin finish?". "Yep" they said. And here we are.

Which brings me to my original comment of "I agree to some extent". I agree that the deep gloss may be shiny and neat, but I agree more that the customer gets what he wants.[:D] I figure if this guy likes these, he'll place them and we can adjust to customer comments as they come. He sought me out to do this for him, so I will do as I have been asked.

Dont worry about your comments. If someone puts it up here and asks for comments, they should expect em and appreciate the intentions of em. No guts no glory.

How about giving the guy what he wants and if he takes them, offer, gratis, one with a gloss finish to put with them. Tell him if it sells he pays you for it and if it doesn't not to worry about it.

Provide a chance for his customers to see the difference.

4reel

Lace Sheoak is the moct beautiful pen, I have to agree on the finish I like a gloss finish, but, that is my preference and if the customer wants a wax finish then they get a wax finish.

thetalbott4

Update - I met with the guy this afternoon to give him the pens. He was very pleased and said he may have found something new to start collecting for himself other than opal mines in the Australian outback (I know my opal mine collection is getting boring too). He is taking them to his "people" (wife, I think) for approval, but feels good about it. One of his comments was that he liked that they didnt look like plastic like the originals he had seen. He liked that he could "feel" the wood. I started to see what he was saying about the feel and plastic look.

I ended up doing what Mac suggested and offered to make a few gloss pens (no cost to him unless they sell) to put with the others so we can get an idea what sells better and niether one of us will miss a sale in the mean time, should he decide to go forward. We shall see.

I'll be kissing the shoes of the patron saint of pen sales over the next few days. Any help would be appreciated.

Dario

Scott,

That is great news. If the customer like satin yes do give that to him.

Yes, I do know the "not natural" feel of CA and Lacquer.

If you haven't tried Tung oil yet...I higly recommend that you try it. Takes a while to cure but may be the perfect finish for your customer. To reduce the drying time, I am using Minwax Tung oil mixed with 25% pure Tung oil. One of the best finish I had in terms of feel and quality.

thetalbott4

Dario- I've always been a fan of Deft spray for that 12"-of-glass-over-the-wood look until I saw James's CA finish which I love. Now I see another side, that somewhat pays homage to the wood we work with by being able to actually touch it and feel the texture. I guess I'm learning that everything doesnt have to be the same. That said, I'm going out to the shop now and use a bottle of CA on something.

Tung oil is one of my favorites for bowls and furniture, havent tried it yet on pens. What is your method? Do you top it with anything?

Dario

I almost always use CA and Lacquer finish now too. Sometimes I top these with friction polish which I learned from Russ just recently.

I am using Tung oil now only on request (very few) due to the curing time. I don't use anything with it (not even sanding sealer to begin with). I apply several coats until the gloss I am looking for is attained.

My daily pen is Tung oil finished...the gloss went away long time ago (due to abuse in my pocket [:D]) but with a little buffing it still shines (satin)...I do believe that my pen is building character with use...of course it could be due to the wood also (figured cherry).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom