An attempt by the Swede again.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Umeubbe

Umeubbe

Hi all pen turners!

So here we go again. Today is Mothers day here in Sweden. I do not have a mother anymore, so I celebrate my dear wife who is the mother of our two sons instead, and her name is Maria. Please come with opinions.

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Looks much more like a 'success' than an 'attempt' to me. :wink: I'm sure she will love it too. :biggrin:

jskeen

Hey Urban, that's a great job on a fairly difficult pen to turn. Most people start with slimlines because the kits can be gotten cheaply, but then the turnings end up being offsize or out of proportion, but that one looks great. All the junctions are right on, and that's a very thin layer of wood glued to that tube, so you obviously did a good job gluing and turning it, or it would have blown out. Your finish looks to have a nice uniform shine to it but it looks like there may be some open grain right below the clip that didn't fill in. nothing major, but if you will wet sand that first coat of CA in with whatever the finest grit of sandpaper you hit the bare wood with, and get a good slurry worked into the pores of the wood, then let it dry, then you can sand 99% of the ca back off and have a perfectly smooth pore free surface to put your finish coats of ca on.

I know you have not been doing this very long, but you have turned out a very high quality Mothers day present there, and I'm sure it will be appreciated.

Almost forgot, the pictures are very good, field and focus are nice and balanced. You are shooting a silver pen with very dark wood, and a white background makes it very difficult to show detail on the wood without blowing the siver and white details out. I think that a darker, but still neutral background, or one that is nonreflective would make it easier to balance out the exposure.

Last edited:
Urban,
Nicely done....who did your engraving? I've been concerned about engraving plated material, potential chipping or flaking....I might suggest you get the body material engraved next to the clip so you wont have to worry about the plating.

Umeubbe

Hey guys!

Many thanks for your nice comments and tips, I will test them and promise to come back when I have something to show.

Glenn McCullough wonder who made engravings, I do it myself in a small engraving machine brand Gravograf.

And, yes, I got a kiss from my wife, she liked the pen :biggrin:

ldb2000

Another beautiful pen Urban . It looks like you have your CA finish figured out , excellent finish for someone just learning the method . Much better then some people who have been doing it much longer . Glad to hear your wife liked it .

Rfturner

You are improving with each pen you make. I like that you engraved the clip rather than the blank because it is something different

Jgrden

Great looking. Your transitions look flawless. I am glad that the person did the engraving was careful not to scratch the clip. Real nice.

Top Bottom