Attempt at a scalloped blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from richfogal

richfogal

It took several tries, but I think I finally got it! My first attempt resulted in scallops overlapping scallops... but only on one side of the pen... looked kind of cool, but not what I was trying to do.

I finally got the hang of what needed to be cut off and discarded after each pass. I was really surprised how quickly my long blanks became very short! Anyway, not too bad for an experiment.

Attachments

• DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 243
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 179
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gbpens

I am still dreaming about multiple layers of scallops. It may not be exactly what you planned but it is still a great looking piece!

magpens

That looks great !!! . I am quite sure a lot of people, including me, would appreciate it if you would do a tutorial on that !

jttheclockman

That looks great !!! . I am quite sure a lot of people, including me, would appreciate it if you would do a tutorial on that !

Not sure if this is the method he used but a few years ago I thought i had this article posted in the library but i just looked and can not find it. I talked to the originator of the technique and he said it was fine to post it on IAP and use it. I may have to talk to Wayne about this tutorial and get it posted in the library. It is a bit different and does use quite a bit of material to make but the idea is great.

http://www.spswoodturners.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Making-a-Scalloped-Segmented-Pen-Blank.pdf

IMGP0905.jpg Photo by JTTHECLOCKMAN | Photobucket

richfogal

Thanks for the link. that would have been handy to read before I started instead of learning the hard way... although I'm sure I won't forget now :)

Top Bottom