Atrax - Texas Mesquite & Figured Maple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from LL Woodworks

LL Woodworks

Well - Had a small piece of beautifully figured maple and a ton of Texas Mesquite and decided to do a two-toned. Tell me what you think of 1) two-toned pens and 2) this combination. By the way, this is the pen that initially had the "Postable Finial" mod pieces that did't match the Atrax bushings. I managed to remove the adjustable finial and replace with the stock finial without damage.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the feed back.

Attachments

• tn_RB_208.JPG
    tn_RB_208.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 293
  • tn_RB_208b.JPG
    tn_RB_208b.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 225
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

To me they are just a little to close to the same shade. Now maybe the mesquite will darken some if you leave it out in the sun. But I do like two tone wooden pens. I like using maple & red heart or box elder & cocobolo. And ebony & just about any other wood as long as it isn't black.

ghostrider

To me they are just a little to close to the same shade. Now maybe the mesquite will darken some if you leave it out in the sun. But I do like two tone wooden pens. I like using maple & red heart or box elder & cocobolo. And ebony & just about any other wood as long as it isn't black.
Agreed. It looks well done, and the wood is pretty, but with two tone I prefer a bit more contrast so the different woods/colors enhance each other.

Jjartwood

Love it!
very subtle blend of color,sometimes we as pen makers try harder to impress other pen makers then to make a nice low profile pen.
I have a box full of flashy pens that sit forever while the subtle " pretty" pens are leaving the tent.
My wife TOLD me"penmakers don't buy pens from penmakers,customers do!"
She was right (wow that hurt) but I have to say that nothing feels better than finishing a snappy looking pen

Mark

LL Woodworks

Love it!
very subtle blend of color,sometimes we as pen makers try harder to impress other pen makers then to make a nice low profile pen.
I have a box full of flashy pens that sit forever while the subtle " pretty" pens are leaving the tent.
She was right (wow that hurt) but I have to say that nothing feels better than finishing a snappy looking pen

Mark

Thanks David, Bob & Mark for responding. I kind of agree with all of you. Personally I like the subtle change more so than the "bold" differences. Mark - your wife hit it on the head with her comment... "Pen makers don't buy pens from pen makers; customers do." I love it!

BSea

Love it!

Mark

Thanks David, Bob & Mark for responding. I kind of agree with all of you. Personally I like the subtle change more so than the "bold" differences. Mark - your wife hit it on the head with her comment... "Pen makers don't buy pens from pen makers; customers do." I love it!
You know, Mark's wife is probably right on the money. While we as pen makers like to see the exotic and 1 off pens, the customers probably don't go for the flashier pens.

I should have pointed out that the fit & finish look excellent. To me that is more important than a higher contrast between the woods.

George417

Love it!

Mark

You know, Mark's wife is probably right on the money. While we as pen makers like to see the exotic and 1 off pens, the customers probably don't go for the flashier pens.

I should have pointed out that the fit & finish look excellent. To me that is more important than a higher contrast between the woods.

My customers have always enjoyed my two tone pens, because they are so unusual.

Top Bottom