Atlas opinions wanted please.....custom finial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodscavenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

I was playing around tonight and found the long cutoff left over from a figured mequite Atlas/Polaris pen. I like the pen but they are a touch top heavy for my taste. This is what I came up with. Which do you like better?

BTW I know the grain match isn't best. I realize now the cutoff came from what is now the nib end. In the future I will plan better.

Standard Finial
DSC01972.jpg

Custom Finial
DSC01970.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Shane, I think it is a little to ornate for the pen, with that being said, It is still a 100% improvement over the stock piece. Well done.

JimGo

Shane, I REALLY like the concept of a custom finial on that pen; I really don't care for the stock finial. However, I think the one in the pic overwhelms the pen. I know the final diameter isn't much bigger than the stock finial, but it still looks massive compared to the pen's body. Perhaps a shape that more closely matched the tip's diameter would be better? Just a thought.

Again, great idea, and nice job with the turning!

elody21

I love the wooden finial! I really changes the look of the pen! It Makes it classier!

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Shane,
I like the concept, but agree with Jim that the shape is a bit overdone for this style.. but conceptually it is a great idea...
QUESTION -- What do you do to get a friction fit for the top onto the mechanism. Do you use an extra tube cut to size??

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Idunno.
I use the PSI P0olaris which is essentially the same pen.
By design I think it is "Clunky" If you can't disguise teh elephant, show him off!
I think the shape and proportion you gave the "cap" greatly improves the pen.
I can't tell from the picture if you used the original cap or not but an 8 mm tube was used in this one
20051232533_Polaris%20casing%20antler%20004.jpg

woodscavenger

I had a leftover clip section from a cigar pen. I cut a bit off of it and inserted it into the finial. Thanks for the comments......yeah I guess it is a bit overdone.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />I had a leftover clip section from a cigar pen. I cut a bit off of it and inserted it into the finial. Thanks for the comments......yeah I guess it is a bit overdone.
"yeah I guess it is a bit overdone."
And my thumbs up doesn't count?
I still think it looks great and is an improvement over the OEM design.
The pen is short and stubby by design.
I truly you improved the appearance and showed design creativiy.
I wouldn't change a thing.

M

Mudder

Never tried a polaris pen but I can say both you and eagle have made those pens look better than original.

Randy_

I like the idea; but agree with those who have suggested that the finial needs to be a bit less imposing. Now, add a wooden nib to the other end and you would have a real wooden pen!!! Nice job, Shane.
thumb.gif

MDWine

I think something less "imposing" would look better too.
Did the wood finial drastically reduce the weight? I like the idea a lot, and will look at this effort again as I gain experience... (but not too soon![:D])

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom