An assortment of pens...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ChrisinOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisinOR

As I have just joined the forum and posted an intro... Here are an assortment of pens I've made...

20072200250_DSCN4054.jpg

These are a couple basic acrylic euros

200722002541_DSCN4056.jpg

Here's three flat top roller balls

200722002620_DSCN4057.jpg

Three unique pens on Ebony. Top one is gold leaf under a CA finish. Next has an abalone inlay. The bottom one has random nickle-silver dots all over it.

200722002736_DSCN4058.jpg

These last ones are all metal. The top one is a polished aluminum slimline. The center is a copper wire Sierra. The bottom is an oxidized black titanium slimline.

I'm curious to know what you guys think... Am I just wasting my time...? I hope not, cause I sure enjoy making these... If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Chris Nilluka

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ChrisinOR

I have a Delta midi that my wife bought for me last Christmas. The last pen on this page needs a correction... It's oxidized alumimum with black TI fittings. Sorry for the confusion...

Thanks for the great compliments. They are much appreciated.

Chris Nilluka

Rob

Chris, terrific work. Welcome and a word of warning...there's no turning back now. Oh and by the way, as I was told when I joined..."we like pictures"...

the other Rob

ChrisinOR

Originally posted by angboy
<br />They all look great! How'd you do the abalone inlay and the dots?

The abalone was pretty easy. Basically turn a recess for the abalone to lay into. Cut the pieces of shell and chamfer the edges. Glue each piece in with CA. Then fill any voids with CA. Use coarse sandpaper, like 60 grit to grind the shell down to the surface of the wood. Work your way through the grits in sandpaper. Finish with Micro Mesh. Next time I do it I'll coat the entire pen in CA.

The dots pen, that one sucked! First I flatened the corners of a square blank. Drill random holes in the blanks. The flatened corners allow for eight flat surfaces instead of four. Drill out the center for the tube. Glue in the tube. Mill ends. Turn pen to about a 1/16th or so of completion. Glue in small nickle-silver rods into holes. Using a pair of dykes, cut the rods as flush as you can to the surface of the blank. Now using files finish turning the pen. WARNING!!! The wood is going to heat up but not as much as the rods. The rods tend to want to fall out as the wood expands, so I had to keep gluing the dots back in. Use sandpaper and micro mesh to finish. Again, if I ever make a pen like this again I'll coat the entire pen in CA...

Chris Nilluka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom