Aspen burl with cocobolo caps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveJ

SteveJ

This is an Elegant Le Roi LB wrapped in Aspen burl with aluminum and cocobolo accents. Blew out one of the caps and let it sit on my desk for a while until I had the time to replace it. It is finished with Wood Turners Finish.

Enjoy.

Steve

Attachments

• AspenCocobolo.jpg
    AspenCocobolo.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 419
  • AspenCocobolo2.jpg
    AspenCocobolo2.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 316
  • AspenCocobolo3.jpg
    AspenCocobolo3.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 327
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

That is a Work of Art.

Terrific selection of materials, and exercution.
You must have been shattered, when the cap blew out.
Great recovery.

You have done the Le Roi and the Aspen Burl Justice.

Brian

SDB777

Very unique timber and excellent segmenting! Well done!!!!

How many applications did you use of the Wood Turners Finish?

Scott (always looking for a new finish) B

SteveJ

I put 8-10 coats of Wood Turners Finish, then I buff on the buffing wheels. Brings out a nice shine.

On this pen I had some voids to fill on the burl, which I did with CA, then I sanded it down to the wood except where the CA was necessary to make it smooth. You can't tell when in hand that there is any CA under the Wood Turners Finish.

Steve

hornet406

Beautiful work.. Would you mind explaining your technique for how you make the radius cut on the end caps. I tried using a scroll saw but not having any good results. Thanks.

I put 8-10 coats of Wood Turners Finish, then I buff on the buffing wheels. Brings out a nice shine.

On this pen I had some voids to fill on the burl, which I did with CA, then I sanded it down to the wood except where the CA was necessary to make it smooth. You can't tell when in hand that there is any CA under the Wood Turners Finish.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that your pen is wonderful. I really like that look.

Steve

I've been wondering about that. I have done some comparison "tests" with the CA and WTF, but not tried it over CA yet. Thanks for sharing that.

SteveJ

Beautiful work.. Would you mind explaining your technique for how you make the radius cut on the end caps. I tried using a scroll saw but not having any good results. Thanks.

I believe that I used the scroll saw for the cuts on this one as well. The main body, the female cuts if you will are the ones that are most difficult for me. If you notice, I didn't really get them down perfect, one side of the "V" is longer than the other.

For the aluminum, that is a piece of flashing cut to size and bent to shape. I did that by hand and didn't get a nice sharp corner at the bend. I will do it differently next time in the hopes of getting a sharper corner.

The end caps were the easiest to cut since they contained no inside corners. After I had blown off the one cap I first drilled the hole and then cut the angles on my miter saw (hand saw). That allowed me to work with a larger piece.

Steve

SteveJ

I do not have any pictures of the segments before turning, although I am working on a similar blank and will try to remember to take pictures of it.

I do not know the thickness of the aluminum flashing. It is pretty thin, but I don't think as thin as a soda can.

Steve

Top Bottom