Asian Satinwood/Aluminum Herringbone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JGCIV

JGCIV

I have been an IAP member for awhile, but have never felt the urge to post any photos of my pens. This particular one, although far from perfect, seemed appropriate to post. I still consider myself a novice and have been turning in my limited spare time for about three years now.

I was asked to make a pen for a retirement gift for my company's CFO. The only preference given was "silver, not gold" and "be creative". This is what I created. It will be presented to her tomorrow.

I lost count at 15 as to how many times this blank came apart during drilling and turning. That's why a couple of the glue lines are a little thick. I'm persistent, though, and managed to turn it into a decent looking pen.

This is Asian Satinwood with aluminum roof flashing on a Sedona kit from Woodcraft. The finish is 9 coats of medium CA, sanded through 600, MM'd, and finally hit with some Hut Plastic Polish.

I welcome all comments and criticisms.

John

Attachments

• Asian Satinwood Herringbone 1.JPG
    Asian Satinwood Herringbone 1.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 496
  • Asian Satinwood Herringbone 2.JPG
    Asian Satinwood Herringbone 2.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 369
  • Asian Satinwood Herringbone 3.JPG
    Asian Satinwood Herringbone 3.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 472
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

Very nice. That is a lot of work, even if it all goes well. When they come apart and you have to reassemble it is even more work, but the satisfaction of sticking with it and accomplishing the goal cannot be beat !

wiset1

WOW

Now That is an amazing piece of art! To craft a pen in such a manner as to complete a herringbone using aluminum accents is no easy task. Having just done a couple with accents myself I know this can be very difficult. I'm sure the CFO will be happy to own it!

:eek::eek::eek: AWESOME

moke

John--
Nice job, your CFO is a lucky man. It is great to hear that others have their segmented blanks come apart!!!

JGCIV

Thanks again, everyone, for the comments. I think I'll try this again at some point, but at a time where there is no deadline. In all, I probably have about 10 hours in this, most of it in blank preparation. I had to keep the acetone handy, too, to unglue my fingers from each other.

GO HEELS !

Top Bottom