Artist's Sketch Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from txbob

Status
Not open for further replies.

txbob

Here's an artist's sketch pencil I did this morning. It uses 5.6 mm lead, held in a slotted wooden collet.
2007814174315_Sketch1.jpg

Here's a detail shot of the collet, showing the slot and the taper:
2007814174341_Sketch2.jpg

The finish is tung oil on the body, Ren wax on the collet.

Your comments are always welcome,
txbob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txbob

To the list:
Thanks for all the nice comments. First though, let me say that it's NOT an original design of mine. It dates back to the year 1565. For a history of the design, take a look at
http://davesmechanicalpencils.blogspot.com/2007/02/cleo-skribent-der-gessner-pencil-review.html

I saw pictures of the Der Gessner pencil on the net, and thought it was strinking in its simplicity. Made my first one this morning, and already have an order for one.

The lead is 5.6 mm, the hole in the collet is 6 mm. The collet is about an inch and a half long. It's .34" diameter along the narrow part, and .38" diameter at the front end. The hole in the body is around .35", don't remember for sure, and flared just slightly at the open end to somewhat match the taper on the collet. I think the collet and body of the Der Gessner pencil are larger than mine. I turned both the collet and the body holding the wood in a scroll chuck.

They're easy to make. How 'bout some of you guys make one and post some pictures? I'm sure you can do better than my first try.

Thanks for looking,
txbob

txbob

Here's a couple shots of pencil #2. It's shown with a slimline for a size reference.
2007816175853_Pencil2bodysmall.jpg
<br />
Here's a detail shot of the tip. BTW, this one is already sold. The customer is a big guy, 6'5", and he wanted a bigger than average pencil.
200781618015_Pencil2tipsmall.jpg
<br />
I tried a new way to turn these pencils, and it works well. After blowing up a couple blanks trying to turn a thin wall around a long hole, I just drilled a .25" hole all the way through the blank. Mounted it on a pen mandrel, and turned to size. Much easier. Of course this left a hole in the top end, so I turned a finial from a scrap piece of maple burl. I recommend a through hole and turning on a mandrel, it's much easier than with a scroll chuck.

Thanks for looking,
txbob

txbob

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />The "finial" adds some color, too.
Great idea!!
Yes, I like the bit of color. It would be even better with a matching piece at the tip end of the body. Overall I don't like the size and shape, it's just too fat and too long. But that's what the customer wanted. I guess I don't agree that "the customer is always right."

txbob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom