Artist & Toolbox Pencils

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Spats139

Spats139

I've done some sets of these lately; they seem popular. Both styles are sometimes referred to as Artist sketch pencils, but I've taken to calling the one piece style the Artist Sketch Pencil, and the two piece the Toolbox Pencil.

1. The first set is a selection of inlace acrylester from Woodturningz;

2. Second set contains various acrylics; most from Beartooth I believe;

3. and the final set, with the exception of #4, are all from Super Bowl 2010 blanks. L-R: African Rosewood (stolicky?), Pecan (fiferb), Asst. Segmented (displaced canadian), Maple and red acrylic, Kingwood (displaced canadian), and Buckeye Burl (RDH79) with acrylic. (Thanks again guys for the great blanks!)

Attachments

• SketchPencilsInlace.jpg
    SketchPencilsInlace.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 256
  • SketchPencils.jpg
    SketchPencils.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 261
  • ToolboxPencils.jpg
    ToolboxPencils.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 284
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Good job on the pencils. Matching lead color to blank color is a way cool idea. Tht should make it easier to pick the color to use. Do those sets sell well?
Charles

Spats139

Thanks for the comments.

I prefer the one piece style as well; they feel good in my hand, and I like having a clip to draw the eye to the best part of the barrel.

Dale

jbthbt

Those are incredibly well done and very beautiful. Where do you find the colored pencils that are in them?

KiltedGunn

Local Chapter Leader
First off, those are GORGEOUS!

I really like the colored lead matching...a great eyecatcher!

Now, since you obviously have experience with this kit, if you don't mind my asking, how the HECK do you glue in the top piece that the sharpener screws onto????????

Aw, disregard, I'll PM ya so I don't hi-jack the thread! :biggrin:

Spats139

Those are incredibly well done and very beautiful. Where do you find the colored pencils that are in them?

I buy the colored leads at the same time that I buy the kits. My last batch was from CSUSA, but I have also purchased them from William Wood-write.

Spats139

First off, those are GORGEOUS!

I really like the colored lead matching...a great eyecatcher!

Now, since you obviously have experience with this kit, if you don't mind my asking, how the HECK do you glue in the top piece that the sharpener screws onto????????

Aw, disregard, I'll PM ya so I don't hi-jack the thread! :biggrin:

The sharpener screws onto the top of the mechanism, which just runs through the whole tube and out the top. The guts are held into the barrel by a threaded fitting at the nib end.

One thing I did have to do on the Toolbox style, and the main reason I now stay away from them when I can, is to glue (CA) the top decorative ring on; it doesn't press fit well enough to stay on its own.

To clarify: the other piece that KiltedGunn is referring to, also has to be glued in. I put some med CA glue inside the end piece and then push it into the barrel and onto the end of the lead mechanism. Personally, I think it's a pretty poor design, and it's another reason that I try and stay away from that kit now.

If there is anyone else out there who uses the Toolbox kit, and can offer some additional ideas, or an explanation for the need for that design (other than the need to get through the center coupler) I would also be interested in hearing from you.

Attachments

• ToolboxPencilTopEnd.jpg
    ToolboxPencilTopEnd.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Top Bottom