Artisans Indigo in Olive

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan Masshardt

Dan Masshardt

I'm still trying to decide how I feel about this style. But the quality is very good. Kit from craft supplies sourced through Dayacom. Video review to come.
a55e4738b6d175374a7785836dece16c.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lhowell

Looks very industrial-ish. Maybe it is the gunmetal color but I feel this may look better with a steampunk type blank or Acrylic over wood? Clean look though! I look forward to your review!

Dan Masshardt

Nice looking pen. But is the kit worth $14?

A valid question. The answer is that it depends on whether it (completed pen) sells for the right money accordingly. If so then yes. If not then no.

Truth is I don't mind spending a little more for a single tube kit as it's half the labor of a two tube kit.

But honestly, I'm not sure I like the style enough to make too many more.

The Deco is $18 but I'm in love with it. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

jttheclockman

Not sure how I feel about the rollerball clip. You see this on a highend pen but a different less evasive design. That clip looks like they tried too hard to copy. Not a fan of the kit but your work looks good. So 50/50% :)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Actually, I don't like the roller clip. BUT... It would not stop me from purchasing!

I like the blank you used, as well as the fact that it will accept a longer blank.

Other than the roller in the clip, It looks fine, and the longer timber is a plus for me. JMO!

qquake

Nice looking pen. But is the kit worth $14?

A valid question. The answer is that it depends on whether it (completed pen) sells for the right money accordingly. If so then yes. If not then no.

Truth is I don't mind spending a little more for a single tube kit as it's half the labor of a two tube kit.

But honestly, I'm not sure I like the style enough to make too many more.

The Deco is $18 but I'm in love with it. Lol.

Have you made a Deco pen yet? I have a couple of the Exemplar kits, but haven't made one yet.

Dan Masshardt

Not sure how I feel about the rollerball clip. You see this on a highend pen but a different less evasive design. That clip looks like they tried too hard to copy. Not a fan of the kit but your work looks good. So 50/50% :)

I don't really like the roller on this clip either. It's the same design as on the Jr Morgan I believe. I think it works a little better on that kit than this one. It's like a really stripped down kit and then they put a roller wheel on.

Dan Masshardt

Actually, I don't like the roller clip. BUT... It would not stop me from purchasing!

I like the blank you used, as well as the fact that it will accept a longer blank.

Other than the roller in the clip, It looks fine, and the longer timber is a plus for me. JMO!

I'm with you mark. For me taste it would be more of a winner without the roller.

One thing I have to say is that the quality is excellent.

magpens

Nice looking pen !!! . But the kit is a bit expensive, IMHO.

What is the length of the brass tube, please ? . A pity that CSUSA doesn't give that info on the instruction sheet or description.

Dan Masshardt

Nice looking pen !!! . But the kit is a bit expensive, IMHO.

What is the length of the brass tube, please ? . A pity that CSUSA doesn't give that info on the instruction sheet or description.

Just shy of 3 7/8" In the video I just recorded I hold it up next to a zen and a sierra for comparison. It ends up being a similar length to a log of other pens overall but longer blank section as there is very little on top for a single tube pen

magpens

Thanks for that info, Dan.

At that length it is very close to the Long Clicker.

I like single barrel kits with long barrels, especially when I can make the sidewalls a little on the thick side without excessive bulging.

Recently I have been playing with the Berea Long Boy, leaving out the center band so that it becomes a single barrel kit. As a single-barrel, the tube is just on 4.00" and I have increased the turned OD to about 0.55" for about two-thirds of the length. . I'll post a pic when I have done the finishing. . I like the Long Boy because it is a clicker; quality may not be as good as the Indigo (twist).

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

Thanks for that info, Dan.

At that length it is very close to the Long Clicker.

I like single barrel kits with long barrels, especially when I can make the sidewalls a little on the thick side without excessive bulging.

Recently I have been playing with the Berea Long Boy, leaving out the center band so that it becomes a single barrel kit. As a single-barrel, the tube is just on 4.00" and I have increased the turned OD to about 0.55" for about two-thirds of the length. . I'll post a pic when I have done the finishing. . I like the Long Boy because it is a clicker; quality may not be as good as the Indigo (twist).

I'd say the quality is fairly comparable. I find berea kits to be high quality on balance as well.

I like the long boy as well. Haven't tried it as a single yet though.

jttheclockman

I have to laugh every time you make a video. When I click on the link it brings me to your video but on the right hand side there is a preview of other videos and usually you are mixed in with some very racy videos. I do not know why that happens. I can see maybe other pen turning videos or woodworking videos but body painting and others just do not fit.

Nice video though. Almost did not see you there with the camo look. Blended into the background:) these short little videos are helpful. keep doing them. You are a natural. :)

jttheclockman

Thanks JT!

The recommended videos on the right relate mostly to your own browsing history. :[emoji54]. Kidding. I have no idea what YouTube does with that.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: They change every time I click your video. Maybe it is like Amazon. :biggrin:

Watched a few of the billiard trick shot videos this time.

Last edited:

PenPal

Morning here Dan from your pictures I formed the opinion this Indigo pen is a wonderful opportunity to display special timbers. I love the clip and the roller eliminating the difficult effort need to post pens in the shirt pocket.

The top of the pen together with the decoration I like very much.

Two things stand out for me its simplicity and ease of making.

The role you assumed in both the IAP and U Tube were perfect for me, the pics an intro and real detail in the Video.

With our drop in the value of our Dollar topped off with freight purchases of kits as they are introduced becomes an expensive proposition.

I appreciate your endeavors in giving this unbiased presentation in two ways it has been great for me.

Kind regards Peter.

Jgrden

Leaves lots of room for engraving. The clip has an advantage in that it slides over the pocket garment and will not wear the material after several uses.

Top Bottom