Art Nouveau - Kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BradG

BradG

Here is a kitless pen based on Art Nouveau, which has the french meaning of "New Art". This style was popular back in the 1890's both in art and architecture, being portrayed in swirling patterns and lines, commonly showing leaves, vines and flowers.

Nib also etched to match the pen's body and lid. a similar, albeit different pattern is etched to the lid, with what sould be viewed as the head of a flower on it, the sun, or however else you decide to interperate the circle :cool:

Completely chrome plated, though i tried to avoid a mirrored chrome to get a more natural metal look to it.. think i managed it, though still think theres room for improvement.

As always, thanks for looking

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 370
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 276
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 310
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Hi Brad - The new pictures are a lot better. The original pictures made the pen body look pretty rough for some reason. You might consider using a different colored (more neutral) background instead of the blue. Also check your angles to avoid unwanted reflections. (I know you didn't ask for critiques, but I couldn't help myself :frown:)

I'm curious. Is the area where the body and cap meet less chromed? It looks kind of brassy in that area in both pictures. I was wondering if it was just the picture or a design choice?

Overall, I like this design a lot. Especially the etched nib.

Ed

BradG

Hi Brad - The new pictures are a lot better. The original pictures made the pen body look pretty rough for some reason. You might consider using a different colored (more neutral) background instead of the blue. Also check your angles to avoid unwanted reflections. (I know you didn't ask for critiques, but I couldn't help myself :frown:)

I'm curious. Is the area where the body and cap meet less chromed? It looks kind of brassy in that area in both pictures. I was wondering if it was just the picture or a design choice?

Overall, I like this design a lot. Especially the etched nib.

Ed

Ed... its a bitter subject.. i hate my camera with a passion lol... I had a sanyo camera which took great pictures but fell on it snowboarding and killed it... purchased a panasonic in replacement and my wifes camera phone can outdo it on occasion. Theres two problems at the join. one of which is the etched edging on the lid, its not a shear line due to the mask failing towards the end of the process. difficult to correct.

The plating hasnt taken as this was the area where the parts were grounded.

The good news is, when my chrome tank arrives, (as im currently doing it with a brush) I can just drop this pen in the tank as its kitless and apply a nice even thick layer over it which will hide all that annoyingness you can see in the middle :rolleyes: so ive not spat my dummy out too much about it as i know it will be right as rain in a week or so.

BradG

Anyone have any thoughts on the nib? :) its only lightly etched oppose to the body and lid. deep enough to take the colour but not deep enough to feel rough under the fingers

bluwolf

Another beauty Brad. I think the etching on the nib looks great. If it's not rough to the touch than I would think it would aid in holding the pen.

Mike

BradG

You have gone insane! Love this pen too Brad!

Lost the plot years ago :biggrin:

Brad,

You have taken kitless to a whole new level.

Jason

Thanks Jason, though i still have plenty of catching up to do when it comes to the intricacy of the design of a kitless pen itself. Still need to put my own finials on them etc and have a play with banding. Still learning which pieces of the threads should be recessed etc, but now ive got the foundations in place i can venture out a little

Another beauty Brad. I think the etching on the nib looks great. If it's not rough to the touch than I would think it would aid in holding the pen.

Mike

Feels great Mike, its very shallow compared to the pen and lid, but deep enough to protect the colouring. If anything it feels more like a texture than an abrasive.

Incredible pen!!

Thanks for the kind words :)

wizard

Jeez.....Another beauty!!!! Uh...lol...do you sleep? eat ? celebrate major holidays? I do like the second set of pictures better and nib looks fine to me.. lol..can't wait to see what you come up for New Years!!:)

Top Bottom